Freezer Test - wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thread says viscosity and thickness have opposite reaction when temp increases. So I checked viscisity and pour point in Bobs oil glossary.
Do you think the ideal oil will be one with a high viscosity number so it sticks to the moving parts when you park the car, and a low pour point so it circulates quickly when you start the engine?
Does muli or straight weight oil have these qualities?

It'll be pretty tough to pull off great cold flow properties with high viscosity. This is exactly what many companies have been trying to do for many years. The two properties are related, although the cold flow can be manipulated with a pour depresssent, not alot though.

when it's cold use a 0w30 when it's hot use a 10w30 or 5w40.

Ignoring the debate over VI's and their impact on retaining sheer stability, why not always run a 0W-xx. Thus allowing for the quickest oil flow at startup no matter what the ambient temperature is. The anticipated upper end temperature of the oil would dictate the "xx" viscosity. Applying the general rule of a 30wt. in the 200F to 230F range and then add 10wt. more for each 20F to 30F increase above that (eg: 40W = 220F to 250F).

Am I just simple in my view of viscosity selection????
confused.gif
dunno.gif
rolleyes.gif
banghead.gif

quote:

Originally posted by SPITMAN:
Ignoring the debate over VI's and their impact on retaining sheer stability, why not always run a 0W-xx. Thus allowing for the quickest oil flow at startup no matter what the ambient temperature is. The anticipated upper end temperature of the oil would dictate the "xx" viscosity. Applying the general rule of a 30wt. in the 200F to 230F range and then add 10wt. more for each 20F to 30F increase above that (eg: 40W = 220F to 250F).

Am I just simple in my view of viscosity selection????
confused.gif
dunno.gif
rolleyes.gif
banghead.gif

I'm with you on this one, I think more and more the 0w20, 0w30 and 0w40 oils are the way to go.

What I'm really dying to see happen is Amsoil coming out with a 0w40, other than the 4 cycle stuff they already make. This 0w40 should be on the low end of the 40wt range so that it does not need too many VIIs. Somewhere around 13.0-13.5cst would probably be perfect. Schaeffer Oil should also get into making a 0w40 too, although it would need to be full synthetic, I doubt a blend could cut it in a 0w40 viscosity.

I'd also love to see Redline come out with a 0w30 or 0w40 oil too!

The 0w oils are the wave of the future, and those oil companies who don't jump on the bandwagon will be left in the dust.

the amsooil 0w40 is safe to put into cars and trucks as it is, just as their 10w40 motorcyle oil and 10w40 are the same oil.

quote:

Originally posted by HOndaGuy:
the amsooil 0w40 is safe to put into cars and trucks as it is, just as their 10w40 motorcyle oil and 10w40 are the same oil.

I believe it was TooSlick who mentioned he didn't think the Amsoil 0w40 4 cycle oil would be a good match for a passenger car though, it's long drain abilities just aren't there. Plus I believe it's missing a few critical additives that their other automotive oils have.

And according to their website the 10w40 motorcycle oil and 10w40 automotive oil show different specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back