Freezer test:M1 0W40 vs Chevron 10W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was bored
rolleyes.gif

They both sat next to each other in the minimally exceptional "cryo chamber"(aka freezer)for 48 hours at 0 degrees F.

Results when poured into dixie cups:

M1 0W40 poured better than the Chevron but it was closer than one would expect when comparing a 0W40 synthetic to a 10W30 dino.M1 still poured faster and remained more fluid but the Chevron was no chump in comparison.

Both poured easily out of the bottle,neither changed color.

Might try GC vs M1 020 next
cool.gif

I suspect you won't see a huge difference between these two until you get down to -15 or so. That's when the synthetic will really start to show its superior cold flow properties.

Thanks for posting your test results.

As for Part II, I think we all know how this is going to turn out
grin.gif

Proves once again that down to 0'F good non-synthetic 10W-30 is perfectly acceptable. Funny to hear some people in places like California say they want to use Mobil 1 for "winter"...
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by vvk:
Funny to hear some people in places like California say they want to use Mobil 1 for "winter"...
smile.gif

seriously? Except for a few places in the mountains I'm sure 0F is a rarity in California. I'd use Mobil 1 there anyways, but only to protect better in the heat. If I lived there that is.
canada.gif

[ February 09, 2005, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: luvs2drive ]

quote:

Funny to hear some people in places like California say they want to use Mobil 1 for "winter"...

I love it when those who live below the Mason-Dixon line worry about winter oil weight. Sure they may see dips ...but nowhere near the amounts that they see the spikes.

(visions of Butch and Sundance: "I can't swim! Ya daxn fool! The fall will probably kill ya!" - just reverse it
tongue.gif
)

I think a better test would be used Mobil 1 0w40 vs used Chevron 10w30. I would think the wear deposits might change things.

quote:

Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0:
I think a better test would be used Mobil 1 0w40 vs used Chevron 10w30. I would think the wear deposits might change things.

Yep, in my previous the oil was new. Pour point depressants get used up in dino, so not a real world test without about 3K on each.

That is why I laugh when guys in Georgia,Kentucky,Florida etc.... ask about useing a 0W30 for winter!! It wount hurt but it is not needed eother! Same thing can be said about 5W30 why???

Why not a 5w-30?
dunno.gif
So the pour point depressants get used at 3k,change it.A cheap dino is only a buck anyways.
dunno.gif
Not every car needs a $5 a qt syn,or a HDEO to stay running.

Brrrrrr! "down to -15, or so..."

Those of us who live in relatively mild climates would have a lot of other more pressing "issues" than motor oil flow if the temperature ever got down to -15!!!!
gr_eek2.gif

One can almost forget what it was like...

Cheers!
cheers.gif

in Memphis, the lowest I've seen it gets is in the teens and that is overnight. during driving hours, the coldest is in the 30's. if I lived in siberia. ooops I mean north dakota j/k mobil 1 only

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:
in Memphis, the lowest I've seen it gets is in the teens and that is overnight. during driving hours, the coldest is in the 30's. if I lived in siberia. ooops I mean north dakota j/k mobil 1 only

In 1995, I started and went to work at -13F here in Middle Tenn. The truck had Havoline 10W-40 in it and fired up fine. I didn't know better then.
pat.gif

My shed test: I believe the temp was -20 F. I went out to my shed and picked up 4 bottles of oil with 1/3 qt in them. M1 5w30, Halvoline dino 5w30, Mobile D.C. 5w30, and Supertech Full synth 5w30. I did not pour any out but rather tilted the bottles so I could see the oil run on the inside. (not very scientific I know but it was cold out) I could not tell much difference between M D.C., or the Halvoline, M1 poured better, but I could noticibly tell that the "full synth" super tech flowed considerabley slower than all the others. Slow enough that I decided I would never buy that oil again.

I know this was not very scientific, but rather just my "shed" observations.

Most engines can last 300,000 miles with dino oil if changed every 5000 miles.

quote:

Originally posted by LT4 Vette:

Most engines can last 300,000 miles with dino oil if changed every 5000 miles.

True in the case of my 4.0L but with me driving back and forth from Katy and Baton Rouge, its easier to use Mobil 1 with an extended OCI because I won't have to spend one hour of the one good day I get to spend with my family buying/changing/recycling the oil on my Jeep. The Jeep runs super smooth with M1 0w40 in the crankcase.

quote:

Originally posted by Norm Olt:
Brrrrrr! "down to -15, or so..."

Those of us who live in relatively mild climates would have a lot of other more pressing "issues" than motor oil flow if the temperature ever got down to -15!!!!
gr_eek2.gif

There's nothing like feeling your snot freeze inside your nose.
grin.gif
-15 is snowmobiling weather.
tongue.gif

5w30 dino in my car during this winter.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:

quote:

I love it when those who live below the Mason-Dixon line worry about winter oil weight. Sure they may see dips ...but nowhere near the amounts that they see the spikes.

(visions of Butch and Sundance: "I can't swim! Ya daxn fool! The fall will probably kill ya!" - just reverse it
tongue.gif
)

What's even funnier is watching the news when they get a freak ice storm/snow storm. Those people do not know how to drive in slick weather. A few weeks back there was one lady who bailed out of her Honda civic as it slid towards some parked cars. I think it was around Georgia. Just about the dumbest thing I've ever seen, instead of hitting a car at low speeds she decides to jump out of her car in open traffic wiht other cars coming from behind. yikes .

quote:

Originally posted by CardGuy:
My shed test: I believe the temp was -20 F. I went out to my shed and picked up 4 bottles of oil with 1/3 qt in them. M1 5w30, Halvoline dino 5w30, Mobile D.C. 5w30, and Supertech Full synth 5w30. I did not pour any out but rather tilted the bottles so I could see the oil run on the inside. (not very scientific I know but it was cold out) I could not tell much difference between M D.C., or the Halvoline, M1 poured better, but I could noticibly tell that the "full synth" super tech flowed considerabley slower than all the others. Slow enough that I decided I would never buy that oil again.

I know this was not very scientific, but rather just my "shed" observations.

Your shed observation would be enough to convince me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back