Freezer test:M1 0W40 vs Chevron 10W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
But at least you helped to...um-m-m-m..."shed" some light on the issue
grin.gif

I have 2 quarts of GC, 6 quarts of M1 T&SUV and maybe an assorted random quart or two of some other M1 weight, and maybe M1 ATF in my car. Should I be doing oil flow experiments in this colder weather? I admit to shaking a quart of T&SUV the other day. I thought to myself "yep, there's definitely oil in there..."

quote:

I love it when those who live below the Mason-Dixon line worry about winter oil weight. Sure they may see dips ...but nowhere near the amounts that they see the spikes.

Kinda' depends on where you live in the "south" and what you normally like to use in the summer. Think Oklahoma City and 15w40.

quote:

Kinda' depends on where you live in the "south" and what you normally like to use in the summer. Think Oklahoma City and 15w40.

Well, I kinda look at it as an indexed perception scale. Someone in MN may run a 5w-30 for the winter ..and a 10w-30 for the rest of the year. You can track that behavior from the Canadian border (and probably well into Canada) ..to the gulf coast. Yet the comparitive durations in common temps is radically different. Winter to me is about two weeks of dancing in the single digits and the teens with the rest being between the mid 20's to the mid 30's (very frustrating having a freeze/thaw type thing) and summer is about a month of stuff that may reach and hang in the 90's with a good long time in the 80's. Fairly quick transitional seasons where daytime and night time temps swing a good bit (20 degrees or more)

There's a broad variance to the term "four season climate" ..yet many react the same way to it.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back