Free Word Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody know of an Appleworks work alike? If I wanted a huge, unfriendly one, I would use Word. I just want something I can quickly compose a letter and address an envelop. I can do it much quicker on ye olde Power Mac even if I have to take time to boot it.

anyone do the postscrip to pdf word processing, using TeX or whatnot else?

All the Indian and Chinese mathematics professors Ive had have sworn by that system...

OpenOffice is the king daddy of free/ libre/ open source word processing.

Abiword is another winner, is free and open source.

Google Docs is also very convenient, although very restricted in features.

I have never heard of Jarte, and would submit that one advantage inherent in using one of the three applications I've listed above is that they save documents in open formats, which eases file interchange and compatibility.

Originally Posted By: labman
Anybody know of an Appleworks work alike? If I wanted a huge, unfriendly one, I would use Word. I just want something I can quickly compose a letter and address an envelop. I can do it much quicker on ye olde Power Mac even if I have to take time to boot it.

For OS X I would recommend Bean, an Open Source, fully Cocoa, free text editor.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
vi and emacs?

No, sir: There is no "and".
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Try Bean, seriously. Or don't you have a Mac anymore?

Oh, if you *are* on a Mac, know that OpenOffice looks, feels and works sort of like an afterthought on a Mac, which it is.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
vi and emacs?

The Notepad and Wordpad of Unix; provided you fully understand their arcane interface.
crazy2.gif

i love MS word. Have never had any issues. I might add you need to know what you are doing for it to work properly.

i can give a perfectly formatted document to my boss for review, and it'd come back ruined because of interferences with the references.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crinkles
i love MS word. Have never had any issues. I might add you need to know what you are doing for it to work properly.

That is exactly why it and everything else from Microsoft is junk.

Originally Posted By: labman
Originally Posted By: crinkles

That is exactly why it and everything else from Microsoft is junk.

i disagree.

i think many people don't know how to work stuff then blame the maker for it. it's not like it's of stellar difficulty to master.

driving is hard to master, or having good relationships, why don't you call the act of those a piece of junk?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back