Free tour of Exxon/Mobil refinery in Torrnace, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you that are interested and live in the SoCal area here's the information.
Saturday, October 4, 2003 - 10AM to 2 PM
Exxon/Mobil refinery
Enter at 3600 190th st. (between Prarie & Crenshaw)
Enter on Exxon-Mobil way, follow signs to FREE parking. No Camera's, no photos! This is a FREE event, open to the public. No RSVP, no SAE tour guide-just show up and enjoy the tour.
More info can be found at www.socal.sae.org

This is in a flier I get from the sae. Helps to be a member!

They started doing these tours as a PR thing for the locals after a major expolosion/fire in the 1980's. I was living within a half mile of it then. At first it felt like an earthquake (this is California). There was no damage outside of the refinery.

They don't make base oils at Torrance, mostly gasoline, diesel and jet, but it is still an interesting tour.

(hee-hee) I s'pose a free sample case of M1 at the end of the tour would be too much to hope for...

There's precedent for this from a LONG way back. It seems that shortly after Ford put its Model A into production, the company had free tours open to the public. During one tour, Henry, himself was on hand at the end to greet and chat with tour-goers. One old fellow stepped up and mentioned the Model A was nice, but the best car ever designed was the Model T, but his was on its last legs. He lamented that he wished he could get just one more "T" in his remaining years. Two weeks later he got a call from the local railyard's freight clerk to tell him he had a shipment due for pickup. Sure enough - Ford sent him the last "T" produced, gratis. (Picked this jewel up from an authorized biography on Henry Ford when I was in grammar school.) Never forgot it. Don't know why not...

[ September 12, 2003, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

Have driven by the place many times when on business trips to LA (staying at the Courtyard by Mariott on 190th at Western). Might be a bit of a drive for me now; only way it would be worth it is to get a very big free sample.
grin.gif

PS The gas is no cheaper at the Mobil station right there by the refinery!

[ September 12, 2003, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back