Free oil from work..

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just got a new drum of mobil delvac mx15w40 the old drum is about 6 months old and has about 15 gallons left.

The owner told me to get rid of the old drum.. so the 15 gallons are mine.

I have a honda accord 2.2 4cyl 1997 mother has a 1998 honda accord v6 3.0 girlfriend has a toyota celica 1.8 2000 model.

This would be free oil changes for me for awhile if i use it in these cars..

Is this oil ok to use in the summers in these small engines? will it hurt?

just curious.

ps. i can find very little on the delvac MX 15w40 from what i am reading it is better than regular delvac?

I'd use it! It won't hurt the engines at all. It might decrease your mileage a little if you're a short tripper. You may not even notice.

Free = Good
thumbsup2.gif
Especially a great oil like Delvac.

I can't imagine it will hurt anything. It's a name brand, top quality oil. What you might experience is a drop in gas mileage and maybe more sluggish-feeling engine performance. I guess what you need to look at is what you currently spend on oil changes, and compare that to a loss in gas mileage and see how the numbers work out.

15 gallons is 60 quarts. Why not sell some of it to your diesel truck driving friends? Know anyone with a Ford Power Stroke or Dodge Cummins? I'll bet they'd like a great deal on a good oil.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Much too heavy for your Hohda IMO. Maybe sell or traid it for the correct wt oil.

+++++ 1 ^^^^^^

I would skip it in anything that sees a bunch of short trips. Otherwise, Once the engine is warmed up, it is a 40, commonly used. There was a time in my youth when I ran 10W40.

Mobil Delvac MX 15W-40
SAE Grade 15W-40
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40ºC 123

That would be a bit too thick for me to run in the cars mentioned. Maybe if I mixed it with some 20 weight.

Although I have to agree that it probably wouldn't hurt a thing.

You lucky stiff. 15 Gallons of free, high-quality oil.

Who cares how thick it is? Those engines are old enough it won't hurt anything - they spec'd 30-weight when new, and with some wear....

Run it and enjoy!!!

Delvac 15w40 in a HONDA????
15.gif
15.gif
15.gif

Sell it for $5/gallon as Rotella at WM is $10

BTW those engines will be nice and quiet when they stop running

Last edited:
half say its ok, half say no way. Sounds about right.

The engine in my 1997 Accord has a 2.2 4cyl. 190,000 miles currently. I have ran pennzoil platinum 5w30, havoline 5w20, and a stash of redline 15w40 thru it in the last 30,000 miles. So far the mileage hasnt budged a bit, always 340 miles give or take per tank no matter what.

As far as those oils go..I wont run havoline 5w20 again. My engine is definatly not as smooth and there is alot of valve/rocker noise in cold weather. Oil filter is purolator pure one..so not due to filter, unless i have gotten a faulty one.

I was going to go to motorcraft 5w20 next to see if it acts the same..but i came into this stash from work and thought i would run it since it was free.

I could run it through the girlfriends daughters car.. a 1999 sunfire with the [censored] 2.4.. or i could wait till i get a mower

The HTHS numbers are certainly a little higher than the average 10W30. http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAUSENCVLMOMobil_Delvac_MX_15W-40.asp

That said, there's no way it will hurt anything! All this "You'll kill your car!" scaremongering is pretty lame.

(The pour point is pretty high, so it's clearly not a good winter-in-N.Dakota option.)

As suggested, throw in a qt. of decent 0w20 if you like.

Oh yea, send me a gallon! Living in Az, driving a 92 Honda (also w. 190K), I'd have NO hesitation using it.
cool.gif

Enjoy!

Last edited:
It would work well in that Sunfire - the 2.4 are noisy/rattly engines that tend to consume oil.....

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
I'd use it! It won't hurt the engines at all. It might decrease your mileage a little if you're a short tripper. You may not even notice.

Free = Good
thumbsup2.gif
Especially a great oil like Delvac.

^^What he said
11.gif

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
half say its ok, half say no way. Sounds about right.

The engine in my 1997 ...I have ran ... and a stash of redline 15w40 thru it in the last 30,000 miles. So far the mileage hasnt budged a bit, always 340 miles give or take per tank no matter what.

You answered your own question. Use it.
thumbsup2.gif
11.gif

I use Delo 15w-40 in my Honda C27A (Acura) all year round. Of course CA weather where I live isn't severe by any stretch. I'd have no problem using Delvac in the same grade.

It will only cost you fuel economy in a short trip scenario. It may not even be apparent ..but that would be where it would show itself. After it's at or near operating temp, it won't matter at all. I ran 5w-20 vs. 20w-50 in back to back single warm up 400 (200+200) mile events. The mpg was fractionally greater with 20w-50 ..basically showing no difference over the short term that could be measured.

I bet those same engines are spec'd for that weight oil in other countries. I would use it without hesitation.

I'd use it. I wouldn't hesitate to use it in any engine specing 20 or 30wt oil.

Keep in mind if you buy those exact cars in another part of the world, they will usually "magically" requires a much heavier oil. (Curious, isn't it?) All you'll be sacrificing "may" be a bit of gas mileage. Probably not even enough to notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back