Free Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work at a dealership. Awhile back I was in the parts department and spied a few random cases of M1. This is when we were still carrying Castrol Syntec (5W-50!)for customers who chose a synthetic oil change.

I struck up a convrsation with the parts manager. I inquired to him about getting a few cases of M1 for myself since he buys oil in quantity and gets a discount. He told me that he gets M1 for much cheaper than Castrol. So I convinced him to start carrying M1 instead.

We now stock M1 5W-30 and 5W-20. Which is much more appropiate to put in cars that recommend these weights than 5W-50 IMO.

Point of this all being that I now get M1 for free. Inevitably you end up with extra fluids. (Example: You do a trans service on a car that calls for 3.5 qts. You get 4 qts from parts and end up with .5 extra. Eventually you have extra quarts.) I trade those in for things like M1.

So yesterday I did a M1 oil and Honda filter change on my Legend for free! Too bad M1 makes the girlfriends Integra too noisy and I have to go to the store and buy something else.

I'm not trying to brag or anything about free M1, I just thought it was cool that three birds were killed with one stone.

1. Parts saves money
2. Customer gets better oil in the appropriate viscosity for the same price
3. I get free M1

yep, I'm probably the 500th person who read this Even though the mobil 1 didn't do well in your Acura, I would still stock up bro.
grin.gif

Funny, in my saab forum we were just complaining about dealers charging for 4 quarts of atf and only putting in 3.5...

Good thing I don't use a dealer!

If anyone wants free M1, I have some....

used in a 20 gallon drum....!

"I got my free Mobil 1 at PEP Boys with a buy 1 get 1 free coupon."

Me too!
I used 9 coupons and have one left which I'll use this week.
30 free qts!
Been trying to use it the last two weeks but Pep Boys seems to be out of stock on the 5w30 lately.
I use 10w30 in the warmer months so I may have to opt for a 6pk.
That's always in stock.

You B'stards should give the customer the half quart that did not fit in the sump. You are charging $8+ a quart for it and yet you feel right steeling the oil from good paying customers, huh? Even worse, you go on a public board and brag about it. At least at Wal Mart, they give you the extra oil. As a matter of fact, if I knew what stealership you worked for, I would call GM, post on complaint form.com and suggest to local lawyers that they be the target of a class action law suit.

Problem with giving the customer the "extra oil" is that most "normals" (non-oil guys) would end up just throwing it out on the garbage then it ends up in the landfill, then leaches into the ground water ..... you know the rest. I'm all in favor of giving the "extra" to those that will use it. Therefore give it to the customers who request it otherwise, put it to good use. I get what I consider to be free oil by screwing the caps back on the oil bottles after emptying them into the engine and storing them upsidedown for a day or two and then emptying the residual oil into a storage bottle that I use to fill my oiling gun with. Thus, less oil going to the landfill once again.

quote:

You B'stards should give the customer the half quart that did not fit in the sump. You are charging $8+ a quart for it and yet you feel right steeling the oil from good paying customers, huh? Even worse, you go on a public board and brag about it. At least at Wal Mart, they give you the extra oil. As a matter of fact, if I knew what stealership you worked for, I would call GM, post on complaint form.com and suggest to local lawyers that they be the target of a class action law suit.

Give me a break. I can guarantee that 99 out of 100 customers dont want the old fluids back. Especially a half quart that has allready been opened. Flame me all you want but is it my fault trans fluid costs 8 dollars a quart? Or that the labor rate is 108 dollars per hour? Or that the dealership charges 500 dollars to put some glorified wax on the car and call it a "Paint Protection Package?" I'm not gouging a customer by properly disposing of oil that would end up in the garbage anyway. If the customer wants it back I would be happy to give it to them. You dont know the half of it. I think you need to
cheers.gif
and relax a bit.

Y'all could at least ask the customer if he/she wanted the leftover oil. But, I s'pose the bragging rights to "free" synthetic oil outweigh the ethical obligation, huh? Especially when you might get a "yes" every one in a hundred times - heaven forbid that an opportunity for several ounces of "free" synthetic oil might be missed!... (Someone please ask me why I never use the services of a stealership's "service" department except for warranty work.)

Thread started off lame with the bogus Free Mobil 1 claim, but still took an entertaining ethical wrong turn. Aren't there 'perks' in every workplace, some way better than others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back