FREE: download and activate Win10 Anniv. Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't pay me to upgrade when Win7 is so good.

Plus the Win10 start menu is atrocious.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I like the interface on it.
It is the fastest version of Windows that I have ever used and I started back in 1993 with 3.x. I have not had the problems that many post about in the various forums. Of the recent MS OS', Vista and 8.0 were the worst. 8.1 was really good when paired with Start8 and it became the fastest version of W7 in town, W10 is just the next evolution of that.

Like many here, I go on a "I hate MS campaign" at times as well and dabble in the various Linux distros (Peppermint and Ubuntu are nice), but in the end, I always come back to MS simply due to the lack of applications WHICH ARE FULLY COMPATIBLE with the remainder of the world. Oh sure, Linux is free and so is Open Office or LibreOffice, but the incompatibilities with some of the attributes of Office push me back to MS every time. In many ways, it all depends how much you want to tinker/learn.

Other than support that will end in not too distant future, I personally see no need to move up from W7 to W10. I am not experiencing any issues with W7 and all the apps I'm interested in are fully supported in W7. I'm planning to stick with W7 until my machines die.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Other than support that will end in not too distant future...
Unless they kill the security patching, which may not be an issue for some people/uses. Like the death of XP, some will hold onto W7 and nothing wrong with that as long as the risks are understood.

I have a question. My machine has vista on it and it's no longer supported. Is there any way to download this Win10 anniversary to my computer, then delete the vista? Would love to do this as I keep getting messages that vista is no longer supported when I use chrome browser.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
I have a question. My machine has vista on it and it's no longer supported. Is there any way to download this Win10 anniversary to my computer, then delete the vista? Would love to do this as I keep getting messages that vista is no longer supported when I use chrome browser.
You have to have Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 to upgrade to Windows 10.

Other than support that will end in not too distant future.....

Windows 7
Mainstream support end date: January 13, 2015
Extended support end date: January 14, 2020

Originally Posted By: Zeus33
Other than support that will end in not too distant future.....

Windows 7

All I care about are security patches, which are still being released.

Originally Posted By: Zeus33
Windows 7

All I care about are security patches, which are still being released.

+1 ... I'll probably keep Windows 7 until no more security patches are available in 2020. By then I'll probably need a new computer anyway.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Ed_T
here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Says: "Windows 10 free upgrade for customers who use assistive technologies"

What assistive technologies are they referring to? Sounds like you'd have to qualify somehow to get this free upgrade.
No; they simply extended the free upgrade for those who use assistive technologies. The upgrade works as long as you have a valid copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

What assistive technologies are they referring to? Sounds like you'd have to qualify somehow to get this free upgrade.

Could also be their marketing so they can save face and talk out of both sides of their mouths.

"Good only until July 27... but wait, you're special."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back