free credit report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where online can you get a free instant credit report? I Googled it and only found ones that charged.

freecreditreport.com, but what you get is exactly that - a report, not a credit score. If what you're really looking for is a credit score, then you'll have to pay.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
freecreditreport.com, but what you get is exactly that - a report, not a credit score. If what you're really looking for is a credit score, then you'll have to pay.
yes and no. yes to www.freecreditreport.com, but you can get your score, and a "credit report card" for free from www.CreditKarma.com and i do mean Free.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
but you can get your score, and a "credit report card" for free from www.CreditKarma.com and i do mean Free.

Just as long as you understand that the score that CreditKarma gives you is not the same as your fico credit score that lenders use to determine your creditworthiness.

AFAIK CreditKarma only draws from the data Transunion collects, so the data is also somewhat incomplete depending on what each bureau has.

I always use annualcreditreport.com as larry pointed out above. Good only once a year.

USAA has a credit report option,from all three, and you can check it regularly(Everyday if you want to).I'm not sure what other CU's offer this but it may be worth it to try.
I get an email from the service every time my score goes up
banana2.gif

If you've shopped at Target, Home Depot or anywhere else that got data compromised they throw in a year of free credit reporting just for asking.

Originally Posted By: evanautumn
http://www.annualcreditreport.com is the official government sponsored one. you can get your report from all 3 bureaus there.

Yes, as pointed out, you can get a report from each of the 3 agencies once a year. So, get one report, then another 4 months later, then the other 4 months after that. That way, you stand a better chance of spotting a problem than if you view all 3 reports at the same time.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Originally Posted By: evanautumn
http://www.annualcreditreport.com is the official government sponsored one. you can get your report from all 3 bureaus there.

Yes, as pointed out, you can get a report from each of the 3 agencies once a year. So, get one report, then another 4 months later, then the other 4 months after that. That way, you stand a better chance of spotting a problem than if you view all 3 reports at the same time.

That sounds good, but Experian has about 95% of the information, Equifax about 50% and Transunion about 33%. Small loans like a car may pull from one, but a mortgage will pull from all three.

Also keep in mind that almost every lender uses a FICO credit score. In many cases when you get a credit score and you are not on the myfico.com you are getting someones approximation of a FICO score (useless). And there are many FICO score models. Different ones are used for a home vs a car.

Credit unions may offer free help and will pull your credit report and a FICO score and then go over it with you.

ram_man, what's your intent? To go into debt or to look for wrongdoimg? The best approach may differ.

I don't check my credit report for wrong-doing or to find out my credit-worthiness, necessarily. I'm looking for good old-fashioned human error - something that was reported erroneously or incorrectly, such as a late payment or an account that shows open, even though I have requested that it be closed.

As far as my credit-worthiness is concerned, I guess, based on what I was told it was when I last took out a loan. If it was excellent then and I have no negative ticks and a reasonable amount of debt now, then I'll assume it has either stayed the same or increased.

If your credit is not excellent, then I'd at least try to get in touch with whomever reported negatively and fix any issues, if possible. With that said, I've never personally had to go through fixing a mistake or minimize the impact of a very negative report; however, I am close to some one who has. It took over a year and persistence to get it fixed, but that person's credit has improved drastically since, allowing for establishing "real" revolving credit (credit cards) instead of "starter" accounts with very a very limited line of credit and no real benefits.

So, I highly recommend every one check their report or issues. I found a "late" payment once, but hadn't checked my report in so long that it wasn't worth it to try and fix it. Had I been trying to obtain a mortgage or any other expensive loan at that time, who knows, it may have negatively effected me to the point where I'd have to consider pushing off taking out the loan until the issue was corrected.

Additional thing to keep in mind - all of the free FICO scores running around may use a slightly different algorithm to produce your score and therefore be different. I have a card through Barclay's, a Discover and a relationship through Penfed. All three offer a free FICO credit score, and all three are different - in one case as much as 30 points.

Everyone should be checking their credit report once or twice a year looking for mistakes and possible identity theft.

If your planning on applying for a mortgage, then start looking at all 3 6 months before you apply as it may take that long to square any errors away.

Also there is no harm disputing something even if you are not sure or do not have all the documentation. There is a good chance the creditor or collection agency will not bother to respond to the inquiry especially if there is nothing in it for them. If they do not respond then the info gets deleted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back