free beer taken away from retired union employees

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31210455/?gt1=43001

TORONTO - Beer maker Molson is turning off the tap and cutting off the supply of free suds to its retirees, the Toronto Star reported on Tuesday.

Molson, a division of Molson Coors, said it was looking to "standardize" its complimentary beer policy.

There are 2,400 Molson retirees in Canada and their free beer costs the company about C$1 million ($900,000) a year, the Star said.

Molson retirees in the province of Newfoundland will see their monthly allotment of beer fall from six dozen a month to zero over the next five years.

Current workers will see their allotment drop from 72 dozen bottles a year to 52 dozen.

"There was no consultation, we just received a letter that this is a done deal, which is totally unfair," Bill Bavis, who retired six years ago after 32 years at Molson's in St. John's, Newfoundland, told the Star. "I think with the economic downturn they're trying to take advantage of us, as a way to cut retirees' benefits and justify it."

Unions have launched grievances in Montreal and Vancouver, where the allotment is less.

A spokesman for Molson said the company feels it still has a very generous benefits package.

Going to zero isnt particularly nice, but that is the way things go I suppose...

THat said, 72 dozen and 52 dozen is a lot of beer...

Like a Million Dollars in revenue is going to make all the difference to Molson who is HUGE! Cheap buggers, they are probably using the "Recession" as an excuse to nickel/dime its prior hard working retired employees!
mad.gif

If I were the retirees I would boycott the brand, not for the free beer but for the principal.

I bet you the CEO gets a handsome bonus this year!
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
... A spokesman for Molson said the company feels it still has a very generous benefits package.

Which they are probably going to "Scale Back due to the current economic situation" But they will hold off till next year so that the retirees can recover from the low blow of their free beer being gone!
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Take away the pension. Heck, take away the health insurance. But don't take away the free beer!!!!!!!!!!!
Especially from Canadians
08.gif
Thems thars fightin' words eh? *BURP*

All you have to do is put a mouse in a bottle eh. Then take it to the beer store eh. It's good for at least a case eh. Some kind of Canadian Criminal Code eh.

At least according to Bob and Doug. Good Day eh!

Originally Posted By: tom slick
All you have to do is put a mouse in a bottle eh. Then take it to the beer store eh. It's good for at least a case eh. Some kind of Canadian Criminal Code eh.

At least according to Bob and Doug. Good Day eh!

That's a story us Canucks tell you Americans, so that we can tell if you are American or Canadian when talking to you and you have just failed the test!
LOL.gif

It's tough to pay for something you've gotten for free for a long time.

Many times, newly graduated and employed offspring are asked for a minimal monthly contribution to the household and then all heck breaks loose!

If you're taking care of 52 dozen beers a year - that's 624 beers a year.
If you're downing 72 dozen a year - that's 864 beers a year.

That's alot of beer. I mean, I've got no problem knocking back some brews but jeez. They've been building an army of boozers. That million they've been losing is about to pay off big time when those guys stop getting free beers. I doubt they'll just stop drinking after years of being fed thousands upon thousands of free beers.

That's not even 2-3 beers a day. I don't drink anything except on occasions, but I have no issue with someone who drinks 3 beers a day. I consume 3 gallons of fluids a day. If I drank beer, not only would I be smashed shortly after getting home from work, I'd be broke ..(well, I guess with or without beer I'd be broke). I'd probably be down to 1.5 gallons of liquids at home since 8+ hours would supposedly be in a sober state while at work.

..but ..that said, it was an interesting benefit and one that I'm sure will be missed.

That also said ...It's like my old company slashing the management's Christmas party ..which cost all of $500-$1000. We spent $17,000/day in waste treatment ..which was the cost per year to provide free coffee to the entire plant (m&u).

I think the same thing happened after Bud sold out. I don't really have a problem with the idea myself, but then again I don't drink any more either. I'd be a whole lot more concerned about keeping real benefits myself.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
That's not even 2-3 beers a day. I don't drink anything except on occasions, but I have no issue with someone who drinks 3 beers a day. I consume 3 gallons of fluids a day. If I drank beer, not only would I be smashed shortly after getting home from work, I'd be broke ..(well, I guess with or without beer I'd be broke). I'd probably be down to 1.5 gallons of liquids at home since 8+ hours would supposedly be in a sober state while at work.

..but ..that said, it was an interesting benefit and one that I'm sure will be missed.

That also said ...It's like my old company slashing the management's Christmas party ..which cost all of $500-$1000. We spent $17,000/day in waste treatment ..which was the cost per year to provide free coffee to the entire plant (m&u).

It's probably even less consumption that that... I'm sure they have friends/family come over or have a get-together where they offer some of that to others so they are probably consuming less.

I don't see $1M/year breaking the bank for Molson. They are a huge company and very profitable according to their ticker.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back