free beer taken away from retired union employees

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not the point... The point is that those hard working people deserve a perk such as that and it was promised to them for so many years and now all of a sudden a company that isn't in financial trouble who's $1M/year in free beer cost won't even put a dent in the fender of profitability wants to cancel the program "just because"???????

I don't think that's right and I stand beside what I posted above.

I think it's time that workers start pushing back against companies and corporate greed. I'm all for companies turning a profit and the CEO's making more than the rest, but enough with "screwing" the little guy for that extra nickel. What about the give/take mentality or has that gone by the way side and now it's take/take/take?
smirk2.gif

Company having trouble remaining competitive due to benefits paid to retired workers?

I'm sure I've heard this before somewhere...

72 cases a year? That's a lot of suds. Maybe give retirees a $1000 company gift card and call it even.

I'd like to check the company's math on this one.

When they claim the free beer is "costing" the company $1M a year, does that mean that the company literally is writing a $1M worth of checks, or is this more along the lines of "If we took that beer and sold it at full retail, then we'd be $1M richer?"

I smell creative accounting.

Originally Posted By: MinivanMauler
I'd like to check the company's math on this one.

When they claim the free beer is "costing" the company $1M a year, does that mean that the company literally is writing a $1M worth of checks, or is this more along the lines of "If we took that beer and sold it at full retail, then we'd be $1M richer?"

I smell creative accounting.

Can they write off the cost of the product given away as a cost of doing business? If not, it increases their cost.

That's a whole bunch of beers... I bet it's a million in operating costs and materials to make it. Of course, I may be wrong. Does Canada have a VAT? That would make a huge difference in cost to the company.

There are 2,400 Molson retirees in Canada and their free beer costs the company about C$1 million ($900,000) a year, the Star said.

That's $375US/employee annually. Less than $10US/week.

Not mentioned in the article... but was a qty of beer in these guys' contracts? Or is it an unwritten rule "holiday ham" sort of thing run amok?

Originally Posted By: StevieC
The point is that those hard working people deserve a perk such as that[snip]
I think it's time that workers start pushing back against companies and corporate greed. I'm all for companies turning a profit and the CEO's making more than the rest, but enough with "screwing" the little guy for that extra nickel. What about the give/take mentality or has that gone by the way side and now it's take/take/take?
smirk2.gif

Text bolded by me. Deserve this perk? I assume you are kidding, but I have to ask to make sure.

Corporate greed is reflective of society as a whole. What about the worker greed you are championing? And, we still don't know if this was in a written contract or not.

864 bottles of beer a year translates into 2.4 bottles EVERY day. That's a lot of beer; if you drink that much, it is time to see AA.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
864 bottles of beer a year translates into 2.4 bottles EVERY day. That's a lot of beer; if you drink that much, it is time to see AA.
You probably haven't come to Canada ever... Beer is like a staple in households up here... Before I stopped drinking due to taking a certain medication, I used to down 2-3 a day. Nothing wrong with that.

I would have 1 when I get home from work, and then maybe 1 with dinner and one in the evening.

I'm the kind of guy that could drink 8 beers before I would have a buzz.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: tom slick
All you have to do is put a mouse in a bottle eh. Then take it to the beer store eh. It's good for at least a case eh. Some kind of Canadian Criminal Code eh.

At least according to Bob and Doug. Good Day eh!
Come on eh. Take off you hoser.

This is serious, losing a free beer ration.

Hosehead's not going to like this. Give him donut....Jelly....He likes jelly....Jelly donut comin!
LOL.gif

One of my all time favs.

sbr_078moranisthomas.jpg

hosehead.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back