Free 2007 Ford Five Hundred

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
So my daughters sister needs a car...again. I am either an enabler or just want my daughter to be able to see her sister from time to time.
My buddy who purchased the Lincoln gave it to me for free. Lots of story behind that, but we are like family. 2007 Ford Five Hundred. 170,000 miles
He kept on the maintenance. I needed to replace the battery, fuel pump, fuel filter and brakes(I will do the brakes Friday). I will have about 800 bucks in it when said and done. Might do the plugs, but it runs nice. 170,000 miles. I think she can get 3 to 5 years out of it she does not go far.
Had to buy the fuel pump ring tool, not much room under the back seat to get at. Runs nice and will clean up well. Anyway some photos and video.
20220410_103812.jpg

20220426_180913.jpg

20220426_181325.jpg

20220426_181102.jpg

20220426_181127.jpg

Video of it running. Pretty quiet for 170,000

I’ve always felt these were an honest car. You have a good heart, and sounds like your friends do to. Nice work MIke.
Yeah it seems pretty solid. Not a big Ford guy, but this thing is simple and still rides pretty nice.
I question the fuel pump. My GM stuff is drop in all the lines external. This has two outside the tank then you have to twist is out and take off two lines internal to the tank that hook to pump. Not a fan, but a new Motorcraft pump was reasonable. Complete pump with sending was like 188 shipped.

IMHO-at 170,000 miles with that particular vehicle you are pretty close to the end of "useful life". It won't see another 5 years. They were not great cars to begin with. I drove for business-it wasn't great.

Sorry to spoil the love fest-but I spent many miles in one.

Last edited:
IMHO-at 170,000 miles with that particular vehicle you are pretty close to the end of "useful life". It won't see another 5 years. They were not great cars to begin with. I drove for business-it wasn't great.

at about 5000 miles a year based off this cars, history and condition I see no reason it won't hit 200,000 miles easily.

5 years or not, free is free. Even if it only lasted 2 before something major quit... free money was free.

You might want to consider replacing the water pump proactively (if it hasn't already been replaced). When it fails it could end the car's life. This is a well-known trouble spot on the Duratec V/6s (and a stupid design IMO).

Last edited:
It is very nice you are able to help someone else in need of a car. I am sure the recipient will be very gracious and I would think the car would make it five years easily if properly maintained. Many BITOG readers could eek another 150,000 miles out of a similar car and consider it barely broke in.

You might want to consider replacing the water pump proactively (if it hasn't already been replaced). When it fails it could end the car's life. This is a well-known trouble spot on the Duratec V/6s (and a stupid design IMO).
I have known the car since new. This is its third set of brakes, has had the transmission serviced twice, water pump done at 130,000ish, fuel pressure sensor at 160,000, fuel filter twice, 4,000 mile oil changes, and most recently the items I have replaced. I think that is pretty decent for 170,000. I only replaced the pump because it was not giving an accurate fuel level reading and knowing this person...it would be out of gas day one. :)

Last edited:
Because of no coolant flow? This one isn't under the timing chain cover. It is in an external housing.

Back