Free 0w-30

Have a friend who sold a car that he used M1 0w-30 in. He gave me several quarts of it. Thought about using it for an upcoming OC in my wife's '19 Corolla spec'd for 0/20.

Please, no flaming. I'm confident this subject has been beat to death. I'm not an expert on oil. Just a casual DIYer who stops by for some occasional info and advice.

Opinions?

Have a friend who sold a car that he used M1 0w-30 in. He gave me several quarts of it. Thought about using it for an upcoming OC in my wife's '19 Corolla spec'd for 0/20.

Please, no flaming. I'm confident this subject has been beat to death. I'm not an expert on oil. Just a casual DIYer who stops by for some occasional info and advice.

Opinions?

Be safe have OverKill come over and taste it for you.

You could use it as is or mix one quart at a time with Mobil1 0w20 AFE....the results of the mixture would still be in the 0w20 range I'm sure....

Would like to try a 0w-30 in my truck. Cam phasers and timing chain, tensioners and guides I feel would benefits from the 30wt, after it runs at FOT for longer periods of time. Sorry, boring virus ramblings,

If it's Overkill approved be assured it overkill.

Would like to try a 0w-30 in my truck. Cam phasers and timing chain, tensioners and guides I feel would benefits from the 30wt, after it runs at FOT for longer periods of time. Sorry, boring virus ramblings,

If it's Overkill approved be assured it overkill.
Actually, I hadn't thought about that. I could save it and use it in my truck. It calls for 5/30. I assume the only difference would be at start up? We don't typically see brutally cold winter temps. But teens can be common here and there.

I'm guessing at temp they would be about the same?

I would use it in the Yaris or Tacoma since the both call for a 30 Grade assuming the Taco is a 4.0 V-6. Not that I think it will hurt the Corolla.

I'm sure the oil is fine but if you're still under warranty then use factory recommendations.

Don't give them a reason to make a denial on a potential warranty claim.

Ok....appreciate all the opinions.

I probably won't use it in the Yaris. It's an older high mileage vehicle and seems to like the M1 HM 5/30 I use in it.

But using the 0/30 in my V6 Taco might be an option. Will it provide the same level of hot temperature, high speed driving protection that the M1 and Valvoline 5/30 synthetics I've been using for years have.....or at least my perception is that they have?

I'm sure the oil is fine but if you're still under warranty then use factory recommendations.

Don't give them a reason to make a denial on a potential warranty claim.
Yes....bought new in January '19....has 17k on it. Currently running M1 0/20...bought with a rebate. Found some Valvoline Synthetic 0/20 on sale recently. So if I decide to use the M1 0/30 in it....I've got enough oil for 2 more changes

Was at Meijer today and noticed they had M1 on sale. Shelf was pretty bare. But they did have a couple of 5/30 Truck and SUV jugs left. So I got one.

$5 off plus a $10 rebate made it $13.99. Not a bad price. Also had M1 filters $2 off. I usually run Ultras. But I won't pass up a good deal and have no problems running M1s. So I grabbed an M-102 and 103 for the Tacoma and Corolla....or the Yaris for that matter. They use the same one.

So I think I will use that free 0/30 for the Corolla. You guys seem to think it's not an issue. And I can't imagine a massive difference between 20 and 30.

Appreciate the advice everyone

Back