Frantz in a '99 Cadillac STS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone installed a Frantz in a '99 Cadillac STS? The engine bay is super crowded, GM even moved the lead acid battery to under the rear seat. There is a gap between the radiator and front bumper steel rail where the Frantz could fit. The oil pressure sensor is mounted right by the full flow oil filter and a tee could be installed there. Not sure about the return though - to the valve cover cap or drill the (alloy) pan? The valve cover cap is nearby and that's a lot lower risk than drilling the pan.

Looks like I talked myself into putting the Frantz by the radiator and tapping into the oil pressure switch location and returning oil to the valve cover. Anyone been down this road with the STS?

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:
Is installing the filter worth the hassle?

Are you asking if bypass filtering is worth any effort? Everyone has their own opinion on that.

It is maybe one hours effort to add the Frantz the way I suggested. Too busy today though.

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:
Is installing the filter worth the hassle?

Installing a bypass filter is definetly worth it
no matter how hard it might seem.. Actually it was not hard, it was an enjoyable challenge..
The benefits of clean oil outweigh by far the liability of not having the protection that bypass filters achieve.

I haven't read of anyone returning oil through the dipstick tube. That looks to be the easiest solution. On the STS the top of the dipstick tube is about the same internal diameter as the external diameter of the hose I plan to use. Hmmm, now that's convenient - but I would like to keep the dipstick operational.

Anyone found a neat way to tap a hose into the dipstick tube?

EDIT - maybe the saddle T fitting used in some fridge icemaker installation kits?

-

[ October 11, 2004, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: keith ]

Why not Perma-Cool Sandwich adapter instead?

I am planning install MotorGuard MG-30 bypass filter on my mom's 2005 Cadillac CTS using Perma-Cool Sandwich adapter.

quote:

Originally posted by fasty:
Why not Perma-Cool Sandwich adapter instead?

The STS full flow oil filter fits into a recess and is about flush with the bottom of the engine. A sandwich adapter will push it a little lower and into the path of flying rocks. Plus, I didn't take a real close look but I believe it will be very difficult to route the additional hoses into and out of the recess. Don't know about the CTS, could be different.

My only concern with the dipstick return idea is if it can handle the flow rate. I think I will hook up the inlet to the Frantz and temporarily route the outlet hose to an empty can and see how quickly the oil pumps out. If the dipstick return can handle it, I will use that and leave the valve cover cap alone.

quote:

My only concern with the dipstick return idea is if it can handle the flow rate.

Figure 8-10 cc per second. This is very close to 1 cubic inch/second. To measure if it can handle this take a quart of oil and pour it into the dipstick using a funnel while timing yourself. 1 quart is about 946 cc. If you can pour a quart into the dipstick in less than 90 seconds then the dipstick return would work.

quote:

Originally posted by keith:

Anyone found a neat way to tap a hose into the dipstick tube?

I do that for my transmission bypasses. Pics are poste here http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=000178

The fitting is just a short piece of 1/4" steel brake line. I flared the end a bit to keep the hose from slipping off.

Just drill the appropriate sized hole, insert the
1/4" tube and weld it in. I prefer to use an acetylene gas welder since its easy to get a leak free weld. If you use a MIG, you can usually only spot weld without burning a hole in the tube. Just use some silicone on the weld to seal it up.

I think Amsoil sells a swivel fitting for the oil filler cap.

Why don't you try a Trasko? It just screws on in place of your old filter. It doesn't have an anti-drainback valve, but if your filter hangs straight down, it shouldn't matter.

quote:

Originally posted by trynew:
Why don't you try a Trasko?

I have a Trasko in my wifes minivan, and generally like it. For my car, I want to try a "real" bypass filter and compare it to the other Trasko. In the minivan, the Trasko is NOT keeping the oil clean looking (new oil turns dark black within a few hundred miles) and UOA's show the oil wearing out at its usual lifetime, about 8K miles for Mobil 1. It does show low engine wear though.

I took a good look under the STS today and gave up for now on installing the Frantz.

The oil pressure sender is right next to the oil filter and right behind a steel plate. No room to screw a T adapter in there. Maybe a sandwich adapter is the way to go, but I am not sure if there is room to spin on the adapter because there is no clearance between the full flow filter body and the engine next to it. An adapter for a remote filter will likely fit, but I don't have a convenient location for the remote full flow filter plus the Frantz.

Grrr. The Frantz is gathering dust
frown.gif
Maybe I will use another oil source for the bypass. The newer Northstar engines don't have oil coolers do they?

Maybe you should consider installing it as a transmission filter. Some say that the engine will outlast the transmission in most cars, but a good filter can greatly extend transmission life.

Maybe you should reconsider using a Trasko for the engine.

I am still puzzled by the dark black color of your oil after only a few hundred miles using the Trasko. Is it possible that the bypass valve is sticking open and not forcing the oil to go through the toilet paper? How many miles were on the van when you installed it? Have you ever done an Auto-rx to clean the engine out? Is the van used mainly for short trips?

quote:

Originally posted by trynew:
I am still puzzled by the dark black color of your oil after only a few hundred miles using the Trasko. Is it possible that the bypass valve is sticking open and not forcing the oil to go through the toilet paper? How many miles were on the van when you installed it? Have you ever done an Auto-rx to clean the engine out? Is the van used mainly for short trips?

I did a standard Auto-RX clean cycle before starting with the Trasko. Forget the exact mileage, in the 50K range, and the van is up to 105K now. The Trasko appears to be fine and the internal valve is working as best as I can tell. At least, it has never been stuck when I open the can to change the TP. The driving is a mix of city and highway, about equal. The highway drives are 30 to 45 minutes at a time at a steady 65mph.

Just changed the oil and TP about a month ago, which is about 1500 miles ago, and for the first time, added LC to the oil. I'll check it this weekend.

My current thinking is to add an oil sandwich adapter to the minivan, move the Trasko to the transmission filter mounting I installed on the drivers side of the bumper rail (fortunately it has the same thread as the existing full flow filter) and install the Frantz to the passenger side of the bumper rail and hose it to the sandwich adapter. That will pretty much take care of the van
smile.gif
Oh yes, and flush the coolant and install a Tefba filter there.

I still want to do something with the '99 Caddy STS oil though, but for now, we are doing by far the most miles in the van and that needs the most protection. Recently I came across the billet style sandwich adapter and one of those will definitely fit the STS, but I still have concerns about the lower height of the full flow and it will be the lowest part of the engine and exposed to road rocks.

For example, the adapter at the top of this page is the style I am talking about:

Universal Oil Cooler Sandwich Adapters

I will have to look for a compatible full flow filter with a shorter can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back