Frantz downstream of Amsoil BMK-13?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I use the right side of the Amsoil BMK-13 billet mount, the side with the plugs in front of the check ball restrictor, to supply my Frantz TP filter?

I wanted to see how long I could extemd my changing of the TP element with my Blackstone reports on an '01 Cummins. I already used both ports on top of the filter head for twin turbochargers.
I do have an alternate source in the main oil rifle above the ECM but the thought of dual polishing with the TP downstream gave me a warm fuzzy.

Thank you for your help. I thought I was the only one on Earth with a motor oil fetish!

Brian

Could you simply "T" into one of the turbo feed ports? Since it is only a small amount of oil, should pose no issue (turbo bearing oil starvation).

I remember reading were one owner installed a Amsoil Dual Remote bypass (the one with two bypass filters) on the supply line from the OE filter boss, then fed the turbo with the return from the dual remote. I do not remember if he kept the restrictions in the Amsoil dual remote filter head.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
What kind of engine ? I am curious about the turbo setup? How it runs etc.

5.9 liter Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins diesel. The small secondary turbo is a 14 2cm HX-40 from Piers in BC. The primary is a big reverse rotation HT-60 with a 27 2cm exhaust housing.

Believe it or not, the two turbos together only spin at half speed and put out a cooler charge of 50 psi than one screaming it's head off at 28 psi.

How does it run? It does a decent approximation of a pulling tractor at about 4000 rpms and 65 psi of boost. I drive it like a girl, though. I did the sledpull thing once.

Originally Posted By: deeter16317
Could you simply "T" into one of the turbo feed ports? Since it is only a small amount of oil, should pose no issue (turbo bearing oil starvation).

I remember reading were one owner installed a Amsoil Dual Remote bypass (the one with two bypass filters) on the supply line from the OE filter boss, then fed the turbo with the return from the dual remote. I do not remember if he kept the restrictions in the Amsoil dual remote filter head.

I could, I guess. I was really hoping to use that output rail, though.

Thank you for the help.

Originally Posted By: RoadTrain
Originally Posted By: Steve S
What kind of engine ? I am curious about the turbo setup? How it runs etc.

5.9 liter Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins diesel. The small secondary turbo is a 14 2cm HX-40 from Piers in BC. The primary is a big reverse rotation HT-60 with a 27 2cm exhaust housing.

Believe it or not, the two turbos together only spin at half speed and put out a cooler charge of 50 psi than one screaming it's head off at 28 psi.

How does it run? It does a decent approximation of a pulling tractor at about 4000 rpms and 65 psi of boost. I drive it like a girl, though. I did the sledpull thing once.
Some big power.

Can I use the right side of the Amsoil BMK-13 billet mount, the side with the plugs in front of the check ball restrictor, to supply my Frantz TP filter?

Brian

Are you referring to the "biasing valve" that, more or less, simulates ff filter loading? Tap the other rail to get the outlet flow (if I'm reading you correctly).

Just buy BP-213
Adapter fitting,: 3/4"-16 straight to 7/16"-20 JIC

Or get any #8 (3/4-16 thread) O ring boss fitting with whatever other end you desire.

Here's a good source for just about all your needs

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

Brian

Are you referring to the "biasing valve" that, more or less, simulates ff filter loading? Tap the other rail to get the outlet flow (if I'm reading you correctly).

Just buy BP-213
Adapter fitting,: 3/4"-16 straight to 7/16"-20 JIC

Or get any #8 (3/4-16 thread) O ring boss fitting with whatever other end you desire.

Here's a good source for just about all your needs

Cool, thanks guys.

Please keep us informed of your success/progress. I've often speculated that a tp filter downstream of an Amsoil BP filter would last longer due to the prefiltering of much of the >3um particles. One would reason so ..if one assumes that the tp is finer (which I think it is). What we don't know is if the larger particles do any of the clogging of the filter. That is, it may still takes X# of Xum particles to clog the tp roll. Now your setup isn't going to be the same as a EaBP and a tp filter inline with each other, but it will still show whether the tp lasts longer or not. TP filters only drawback is their span of service life. The media is surely cheap enough. If you could "polish" the oil with a tp filter and get it to last long enough to make service intervals more user friendly, I think that it would make sense for a few people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back