FrankenTrek - old MTB converted to 'modern' gravel bike

A while back I did this project, really just as something to do with a bike that wasn't getting used, an interesting idea that may or may not have turned out OK. As it happens it turned out great!

Take one 1997 Trek 830 Mountain Track rigid XC chromoly steel mountain bike...
IMG_0641.JPG

Then scavenge, scrounge and acquire parts as cheaply as possible in order to:
  • convert from 3x7 to 1x10 gears
  • convert from flat bars to drop bars
  • convert from cantilever to disc brakes
  • convert from 26" to 700c wheels
  • convert from threaded to threadless fork
IMG_1696.JPEG

A few details:
  • Shimano Tiagra 4600 levers/shifters (one shifter is obviously redundant)
  • Shimano 11-42T 10-speed cassette
  • Shimano Deore XT 9-speed derailleur on a drop-link to clear the largest cogs
  • TRP Spyre cable disc calipers
  • Unknown steel fork - donated by a friend from his junk stash
  • A2Z Universal Disc Mount adaptor for rear caliper
  • Maddux RD 2.0 700c disc wheels
  • Rock'n'Road 43mm tyres
  • Sunrace square taper cranks with 36T narrow-wide chainring and frame-mounted chain-guide
  • FSA Orbit II 1 1/8" threadless headset
  • 12° flared drop bars on a 100mm 6° stem
  • Charge Spoon saddle
  • Original bottom bracket
  • Original aluminium seat post.
I really enjoyed this project - the first such project I have undertaken. It took me around a year between first deciding to do it and starting the build - in that time I was doing research into parts, compatibility etc and also slowly amassing the parts needed through donations, eBay and other online purchases to keep cost as low as possible. I was concerned that it might not turn out well - that maybe the geometry would be all wrong, that the parts wouldn't work together, or that it would not be nice to ride. It turns out to be one of my favourite bikes (I have quite a few, including carbon fibre full-sus and hardtail MTBs, a carbon fibre road bike and a titanium hardtail MTB).

I've ridden it over 1,500 miles now including all kinds of terrain, from smooth road and hard-pack gravel to deep mud and quite technical singletrack - it takes it all on. It also gets a lot of love when out and about, people often taking time to look it over and ask about it.

That's a great build. (y) Did you have trouble with the rear mech cable, you didn't use the frame housing stop near the dropout.
Well-spotted. I did have some trouble, yes. The angles of the cable into the derailleur if using the frame stops meant a little too much friction and shifting was not great. I decided to run the full outer and it shifts as sweet as anything now. This bike was never meant to be a concours bike - in fact I had assumed it would end up being my throw-away bike for times when security was an issue, but I'm very protective of it now and all the little 'engineering solutions' (in Britain... "bodges") are part of its charm. I know every inch of the bike which makes working on it very familiar and easier.

That’s great. I made an old mtb of mine into a commuter of sorts, but didn’t change handlebars.

The issue with bikes is replace too many parts and you might as well just buy another…. A jamis renegade or similar….

The issue with bikes is replace too many parts and you might as well just buy another
Except when you love your TitanFlex frames like I do. All components have been replaced a few times and the cassettes dozens of times. Although I did have to replace one of the frames, which finally cracked after about 100,000 miles. My opinion is the TitanFlex is one of the greatest road frames ever built.

That’s great. I made an old mtb of mine into a commuter of sorts, but didn’t change handlebars.

The issue with bikes is replace too many parts and you might as well just buy another…. A jamis renegade or similar….
This is why I kept costs down as much as possible but it was much more than just about getting a different bike, it was about the process, the time spent fiddling and fettling, working out how to do things, upcycling a bike that was destined for the scrap yard, it was about me trying out something new and prevailing.

I like it! Do you find any difference in speed between the two setups?
Thanks! I geared it for climbing so it spins out on faster roads, but being a drop-barred bike I can push it along on the flat quicker that when it was a MTB.

Ideally I would get caliper bosses welded or brazed to the frame, but that is beyond my current capability and equipment. Plus I had originally thought about keeping it so that so could put it back as it was. That won’t be happening now though.

Nice

Now they make gravel bikes with short travel shock front forks.
And 2.1 tires yet? My gravel bike is my late 90's xc bike with the most worn tires I had around, shortened the bars a bit more, the longest lowish stem I had in the parts box, some ergon comfort grips, and I pumped up the old Z4 air fork to where it barely moves. I kept the 3x7 as I use 22f 32r often in our hills. The riding position is pretty good but I was thinking of adding some stubby bar ends for another hand position. I need to get a bit more hamstring stretch to use drop bars anyways...
Also I was thinking of getting a larger big ring as 42f 11r spins me out at 50km/h.
I don't mind the old v-brakes as long as I have them set a bit loose so the front doesn't drag when standing up. I would put on a rigid fork though if one shows up, I don't like short travel flexy forks anymore.

The issue with bikes is replace too many parts and you might as well just buy another…. a Fezzari, perhaps.

I love to see resurrected old bikes, and this looks like a great one. Kudos! Sure you could probably buy a new bike for less, but the decision is not entirely economic. There is the joy of engineering, satisfaction & pride of riding a hand crafted unique creation, among other benefits.

Some people say that old school rigid frame MTBs are gravel bikes in disguise. This resurrection you accomplished proves that's not entirely true, since it took so much work, but it's close enough to true that the project was successful.

Back