frankenmixing OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well now that the '12 CR-V is out of warranty, I plan on using up my stash of oils that are not 0W-20 in this vehicle. My latest OC was Valvoline 5w-30 full synthetic (SM) I had on the shelf and honestly, the engine is sooooooo much less clackety than with the M1. And fuel mileage has not suffered either. Kudo's to the M1 though, the AFE is excellent AFAICT and I will likely return to using it once these are consumed.

What I got left is some:
QS full syn 10w-30

5W-30 dino's:
Havoline Deposit Shield
Shell
Citgo syn blend
Pennzoil YB

So whatcha all think, once I get down to odd quarts, will it be be alright to mix away, where it seems all the oils claim compatibility with other oils? Or is there danger lurking in the add-pack mixtures?

It's not ideal, but it shouldn't be an issue.

Your bumper to bumper warranty is done, but isn't your power train warranty still going?

Honda specs 0w/20, which is only possible with a full synthetic or blend. Maybe this is all for fuel economy purposes or maybe, just maybe, Honda thinks this engine needs at least a synthetic blend.

If you had a bunch of synthetic or SynBlend 5w/20 on the shelf, using it should be risk-free. But going to a) 5/10w/30, b) conventional, c) mixture of oils of d) questionable age seems a bit much. You've got a nice car, why risk anything in the interest of saving a few bucks?

The K24 had no more than dino 5W-20 recommended for it for years.
This is not a picky engine.

No issues with mixing, but IMO use the 10wxx in hotter months only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back