Frankenmix differential oil 2008 Subaru 2.5 n.a.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's already 37,000 miles on the original fluid, and Subaru says to drain and refill IF it is on "severe duty", so I decided to drain and refill front and rear diff, having already drained and refilled x 4 the ATF with Valvoline synthetic ATF.
WalMart had ST gear oil on sale, but it was 75w140 synthetic, which is too heavy, 75w90 - which is the right weight, but only semi-synthetic. so i bought 4 q. of 140 synth, 3 q. of 90 semi synth(which was all they had) and FRANKENMIXED IT!!! with 3q. of Valvoline synthetic ATF, to thin it out to a 70w90 in order to get a fluid that should be 80% synthetic. Result:extremely smooth, easy rolling.

Last edited:
I looked up the viscosity figures. valvoline is 30.3 at 40 degrees and 6.3 at 100 degrees, CST. this makes it too thin to be used in a differential, but perfect for thinning down a 75w140. and since it is a gear oil, it probably has the high pressure additives that are needed. the final mix is 30%ATF, 70% "gear oil", so the EP additives are not too heavily diluted, and since it is only an NA engine, it just cannot put out the extreme torque that a Turbo wrx sti version would, which is specced for the same oil, for that reason i thought a thinner oil would work better and run with less friction.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back