Frankenmix catastrophe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So yesterday was nice and mild, and good oil change weather. so i drained the FM 50:50 dino 5w30/ synth 5w30, with 3500 miles, per Subaru Canadian schedule. the FM is fortified with 200ml. MoS2.
I'm using purolator pure one 14610, so i thought i could keep it in place for another cycle. New fill of FM dino QS 5w20/ synth ST 5w30, again with 200 ml MoS2. Engine ran nice after the oil change. So...

This morning the temp is at the freezing point, and i'm anxious to see how nice the FM works slightly cold. I start the engine, and immediately there is a loud banging, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, after 10 -15 seconds it quiets down and starts purring.
It is not like piston slap, which goes like BOK BOK BOK BOK BOK, but a BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG, and then quickly gets quiet after 10-15 seconds, again NOT like piston slap.

I think what happened is the MoS2 (Promoly) is forming clumps, and I am using a filter with very fine holes, and the filter is getting clogged, so the engine is starved for oil, and the pistons are banging against something, until oil gets in via the bypass valve.

So at lunch, I drove home, mixed 50:50 Formula Shell full synthetic purchased at Canadian Tire, 5w20/5w30, to create a 5w25, got out a new Pure One filter, and drove out to Wally Mart, and had them drain the oil, replace the filter, and refill with
Shell synth 5w25. I don't regard this as a Frankenmix, because the oil is of the same type and same manufacturer. After work it was getting colder and colder, and the car was good and cold. This time when I started it, the engine was purring, and sounded real nice and quiet.

Lesson: when the research guys at BITOG say that MoS2 will clump, that means do not use it. When board members of BITOG say run pure synth in winter for best cold protection, then run pure synth in winter for best cold protection. I had the Wall Mart people return my filter, so I can cut it open, examine the filter medium, and see whether it appears to be clogged with MoS2, because I'm absolutely sure that is what happened.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rg200amp
The rest of use use one brand oil and one weight oil.

Its been working well for over 100 years.....

And we don't use additives that are thick as mud and contain solids.

scoobie, buy your standards I'm probably considered an old man, but I've been around the block a few times in my life, plus I spent over 25 years in the oil industry.

Pay close attention, 1) do not add anything, that's anything to your oil, 2) quit trying to be a chemist, run a synthetic 5W-30 in your Subaru, 3) I don't care what anyone says, do not mix brands of oil unless you absolutely have to.

You trying to make a 5W-25 is not helping anything. All you need for the cold temps is the 5W part and after it warms up you need the 30 part. Your gas mileage will not suffer and your engine will thank you.

Life lesson is over.
thumbsup2.gif

To add very thick VSOT to engine I do as follow: Change oil with 1/2 quarts less than recommended, mix 8 oz VSOT with 8 oz oil in the quart container, leave this container in the engine compartment. Go to fill up gas tank about 10-12 miles from home, while filling up gas tank pour the very warm container with VSOT to very warmed engine. Drive home after filling up the gas tank. This way VSOT is mixed well with oil.

Last edited:
yes, that's what i am using now, one brand, one type, but i was looking for extended cold properties without actually using a 5w20, so i mixed the 20 and 30 wt, being influenced by Dr. Haas running 5w20 in his Ferrari.

Some of that MO2 stuff is probably still in your engine. Remember that when you drain your oil and replace your filter that there is still oil in there mixed with that moly additive.

I dont use additives. If I feel I need more protection I go to a higher quality oil. I don't work for an oil company and pretend that I know how to mix it better than they do.

After visiting this site and reading up on everything for a couple months. I became a member and am going through the first clean phase with Auto RX. So then again, I guess I use one additive.

Perhaps you should look into doing an Auto RX run to get the rest of that stuff out.

But your not really extending cold properties. The cold properties come from the 5W and at operating temps your Subaru needs/recommends the 30. The good doctor can afford to experiment, I'm betting that you are like me and cannot.

HTSS_TR: In my post above yours, see #1.

I agree with Johnny. If Dr. Haas wants to go against the super cars designer and maker(lambo) let him. He writes good argument(thats what 7 years of school will do for you) but its not the bible

- to worship his word is not the best thing you can do. Follow what the company that designed, prototyped, and built your car recommends.

There is a point to why EVERY car maker and Oil company dose not recommend the use of additives.

for example: Pennzoil synth:
--------5w20----------5w30-----
MRV 11,600 -35 15,700 -35
CCS 4,250 -35 5,200 -35

even though they're both 5w, the 5w20 MRV and CCS are much better which means it has better cold properties.

the hot cST is 8.5 and 10.2 respectively, so the average is 9.4, which is the thinnest end of a 30W. Because they recommend the 5w30 for the turbo and non-turbo, i feel that since i am running the non turbo, i can get away with the 9.4. Also, the ambient temperature will not be above freezing for the next three months, so that's why i feel this may be better. the ambient temperature will not allow the oil to reach 100 degrees, even with a properly operating thermostat.

And I am definitely never going to use any additives ever again any more.

Last edited:
scoobie, I know I've ripped on you on here. But at least now you are starting to understand why I believe the people who designed the cars and the engineers that dictate the grades of oil that are recommended for these vehicles are correct in what they recommend.

I've been using Johnny's technique with every vehicle I've owned. I drive hard. I've accrued a lot of mileage. And I've never had an engine failure. I've never had an engine wear out. And I've never had strange noises.

There is something to be said for the age old technique of using a good oil with a good filter, using a grade that fits within the manufacturers suggested range and leaving it at that.

-Chris

I have a very thick skin now, i don't wilt easily, and i am anxious to learn. that's why i come here, and the people are kind enough to try to teach, instead of just ignoring the newbie. my wife just took the car out now that it has (almost) the proper oil in it, and she says it now sounds excellent.
actually from the internet published figures for the Motomaster (Canadian Tire) version of this oil, the hot cST for the 5w20 is
10, and for the5w30 is 10.6, so i think i am safe, even though it says 5w20, it's actually a 5w30 according to the figures.

scoobie: Hats off to you for publicly "fessing up." As you must have surmised, this provided a good lesson on the perils of experimentation. You have my respect for putting that target vest on. Aren't you glad that at BITOG we are authorized to only shoot paintballs? (Though there have been some artillery rounds fired here and there, unfortunately.)

most all the oil companies put on their package, compatible with other motor oils yet people are always posting can I mix oils. Every oil company recommends [warns]about adding additives .

Engine oils are a precise blend of additives and base stocks that are formulated to provide the performance they advertise.

When you mess with that chemistry, do not be surprised at potentially negative results.

When a company spends millions of dollars in R&D to formulate an oil grade to meet a host of specs, who am I to think that I can do it better by dumping some random supplement into the mix?

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: rg200amp
The rest of use use one brand oil and one weight oil.

Its been working well for over 100 years.....

And we don't use additives that are thick as mud and contain solids.

Especially in freezing cold weather.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
I dont use additives. If I feel I need more protection I go to a higher quality oil. I don't work for an oil company and pretend that I know how to mix it better than they do.

Well said.

I agree 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back