France: Battery bus fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, there is a circuit that will prevent the battery from being recharged if the charge drops too low, but if you don't mind living a little dangerously you can use a bench power supply to put a little bit of charge into the battery and then it will take a charge the normal way. The handful of times that I've done this, the battery continued to work normally.
Got away with doing that twice. Third time apparently there's a "trip" that stops you from doing it, ugh. I switched to Dewalt, these batteries don't seem to self-discharge as much as the Makita ones.
I once replaced an iphone battery for a friend of mine. And when we were done, I took the old iphone battery and stabbed it. It went up in a fireball about a foot in diameter.

Rendered it safe for disposal.
Hhehehe, I shot one and it wasn't that dramatic, but the smell it made, whooooeeee, nasty! And it got hot.

The problem is extinguishing this. Comparing fire on ICE vehicles to these fires is simply dumb! If you think it is not dumb, go to the local fire station and ask them is it dumb, and see what they say.
As @OVERKILL said, EV's are coming, and we all know that, but please, comparing ICE fires to battery fires is a serious insult to intelligence.
So, this is something that needs to be dealt with, it is normal and this is just beginning. In the next 20-30 years, as EV's become more common, other issues are also going to pop out.

Yep-that's exactly the kind of answer I was waiting for on here.

The EVs are coming BITOGers......

They technically have been here for 20+ years...

That's ok. I'm good with that.

I'm not ok with taking away people's choices.

That I have a big, big, big problem with.

And not being punitive or confiscatory to another person IF they make a different choice than you or I would.

In my opinion.... Maybe just maybe...

We all need to be allow others to make choices. Even if we may not understand them or agree with them.

Also being respectful, considerate and even good to those people if they make a choice that is different than our own.

AA had a saying... " Live and let live" ....

We need this more and more going forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: CKN
Solid state lithium ion batteries may.... May well be way, way, way safer vs current batteries in EVs.

Like serious magnitudes safer vs current lithium ion batteries.

Last edited:
I really have nothing against the EV, I have driven them and love the power, quietness and smoothness of the drive train but the trade off is what I don't like, a battery is still a battery, it deteriorates with age and charging cycles, you are married to the electric company and at their mercy for pricing and keeping the grid up.
The cost of battery replacement can be as high as a small car in some cases and then the fire risk.

What I really don't like is they system mandating the elimination of gas and diesel vehicles by whatever date leaving people no choice but to buy one of these vehicles. Keep them as an alternative that people can buy or not as they seem fit and that's okay. I really dont give a fiddlers frig what someone else buys just dont force me to buy it if I want a new vehicle.

Solid state lithium ion batteries may.... May well be way, way, way safer vs current batteries in EVs.

Like serious magnitudes safer vs current lithium ion batteries.
That's the hope. At the moment, SS batteries are insanely expensive to produce. They are very unlike the easy to make, "roll it up" cells that Tesla/Rivian is using or the "fold 'em up" cells that just about everyone else is using. I know there are many claims about SS batteries, but it's good to remember there are inherent limitations that so far, (to my knowledge) have not been fully overcome. Cost being one. Cold temp ops being another.

As far as burning Tesla cars are concerned, over a 250,000 mile lifespan, the current stats indicate about 1 in 800 chance of spontaneous combustion. That number will change as the cars age.

I really have nothing against the EV, I have driven them and love the power, quietness and smoothness of the drive train but the trade off is what I don't like, a battery is still a battery, it deteriorates with age and charging cycles, you are married to the electric company and at their mercy for pricing and keeping the grid up.
The cost of battery replacement can be as high as a small car in some cases and then the fire risk.

What I really don't like is they system mandating the elimination of gas and diesel vehicles by whatever date leaving people no choice but to buy one of these vehicles. Keep them as an alternative that people can buy or not as they seem fit and that's okay. I really dont give a fiddlers frig what someone else buys just dont force me to buy it if I want a new vehicle.
Yes, the mandates definitely leave a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.

I think the obvious option for a lot of people is a HEV or PHEV. You don't have the same massive battery, you can significantly reduce or eliminate local ground-level pollution by running on electric (PHEV) and still can make long trips with the convenience of gas or diesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back