Frame Ultra anti-drainback valve out of place

It was installed on or about 10-1-21. Like I mentioned before I buy these on occasion to get my Amazon order up to the free shipping status. It may have been in the garage for 6-9 months. Not sure.

It was installed on or about 10-1-21. Like I mentioned before I buy these on occasion to get my Amazon order up to the free shipping status. It may have been in the garage for 6-9 months. Not sure.
Any evidence of a dent in the dome end of the can? Might be hard to tell with the black grippy coating on the surface.

No dent or any physical damage. I would hope that any oil filter was constructed well enough to survive shipping, stocking, dropping in a grocery cart, and especially being screwed onto an engine for a prescribed timeframe, especially when it's not a budget filter. It would have been real inconvenient to have catastrophic engine failure. I've had a Maverick on order for about 5 months but may not see it for ???

No dent or any physical damage. I would hope that any oil filter was constructed well enough to survive shipping, stocking, dropping in a grocery cart, and especially being screwed onto an engine for a prescribed timeframe, especially when it's not a budget filter. It would have been real inconvenient to have catastrophic engine failure. I've had a Maverick on order for about 5 months but may not see it for ???
The (OG) Ultra was a pretty well built filter, but the weak leaf spring (and it's somewhat weak can) were always 2 of it's Achilles heels. Let us know what Fram thinks about it if you send it back, lucky that ADBV didn't make it all the way out!

It's possible the leaf spring in the dome end could have been damaged from the filter being dropped while in the box, so the filter wouldn't show any external damage. It's also possible that the leaf spring was installed backwards. That is why Fram should be contacted so they can send a return shipping box and they can look for any reason why the guts were loose.

Didn't someone here years ago post a Fram Ultra that the insides rattled when he shook it around?
Yes, there have been a few threads about rattling Ultras (obviously loose guts) ... but I never recall seeing any threads about dislodged ADBVs posted here. Only the linked thread from the other website.

The Ultra with compromised leaf spring I recall was seen this subfroum on a significantly larger filter than the the topic XG7317, which is one the smallest filter applications. In that case the owner could hear the element rattling and spinning in the can, posted a youtube with it. 'Iirc', in that one at some point the owner was blamed for dropping the filter, causing the element to come loose. No displaced adbv there.

While the other Ultra displaced adbv may have originated on another forum it ended up here and resulted in a couple of threads on the topic, the second one linked below. In that one, the adbv ended up in the engine. Fortunately here adbv stayed in the can.

Not trying to kick a hornets nest here but I for one don’t see a big advantage going with the ultra over the tough guard. I have cut more filters than I can remember and the reason I use the TG frams on my own stuff is that I’ve never seen the media and fiber end cap come apart. The TG is also rated at 99% efficient at 20 microns and good for 15k miles. I actually prefer the fiber end caps. Buying the ultra would gain me 5k more driving time but I don’t extend changes so the extra service time is not necessary. I don’t go with the extra guards only because I like the higher efficiency of the TG. Ultra filters are probably the best filter for the money on the market for extended changes but for the average 3-7,500 mile guys, TG is a steal.

Not trying to kick a hornets nest here but I for one don’t see a big advantage going with the ultra over the tough guard. I have cut more filters than I can remember and the reason I use the TG frams on my own stuff is that I’ve never seen the media and fiber end cap come apart. The TG is also rated at 99% efficient at 20 microns and good for 15k miles. I actually prefer the fiber end caps. Buying the ultra would gain me 5k more driving time but I don’t extend changes so the extra service time is not necessary. I don’t go with the extra guards only because I like the higher efficiency of the TG. Ultra filters are probably the best filter for the money on the market for extended changes but for the average 3-7,500 mile guys, TG is a steal.
The NEW Ultra is no better than the Tough Guard, but the old school OG Ultra was a filter that could theoretically go 50,000 miles on a clean engine, they were that good. I went 19,700 miles on one in the xB in my sig, more city than highway driving, it looked like it could have gone another 20K easily.

That gasket is awfully dry.

Was it cut open for inspection or sent back to Fram?

If you find a filter like this and don't send it back, then I will simply find it unbelievable.

Didn't the Mazda fool use the filter for two intervals. How many brag about using a filter 2x or 3x here???? Smarten up and change it out at each interval.

Back