Fram XG7317 cut open 17,000 miles

Both vehicles use the very small 7317 oil filter. Intuitively one would think the Armada needs a much larger oil filter.
The 7317 isn't really that small in the grand scheme of oil filters. Also note that a can of size A can have more or less total media area depending on how much media can be (or isn't) put in a can that size. The XG7317s I've cut open have ~72 sq-in, but realize that with the OG XG's full synthetic they don't have as much media area as the non-synthetic models. The PH and TG 7317s have more pleats and therefore more media area because they are not full synthetic. The non-wire backed XG7317 (now a blend media) also has more media area than the OG XG7317, because that's needed to be able to keep the 20K mile use rating (ie, holding capacity).

Last edited:
Meaning OG?
Does is acronym?
Original Gang, meaning the "highly regarded" original wire-backed media design in this case.

Last edited:
The 7317 isn't really that small in the grand scheme of oil filters. Also note that a can of size A can have more or less total media area depending on how much media can be (or isn't) put in a can that size. The XG7317s I've cut open have ~72 sq-in, but realize that with the OG XG's full synthetic they don't have as much media area as the non-synthetic models. The PH and TG 7317s have more pleats and therefore more media area because they are not full synthetic. The non-wire backed XG7317 (now a blend media) also has more media area than the OG XG7317, because that's needed to be able to keep the 20K mile use rating (ie, holding capacity).
I appreciate the detailed replies . . . thank you!

Back