Fram XG 6607 Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had this on a Mazda CX-5 for 2 OCIs and 13k miles. Seems kinda small for such high mileage. But it is supposed to go the distance.

E93C7333-D620-42C3-8A1A-401B881FD21C.jpeg

3E11DBDA-2ABB-4E0F-B556-C745141F5F03.jpeg

588F4142-BD42-4C8A-A010-004E9F1F04D5.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting! It is a small filter. My sister's Acura 3.2TL came with a 6607 sized filter which I thought was small but I guess it is fine for today's modern engines.

A Fram 7317 has the same base and bypass, but is a third longer...

If it fits, you may want to try it...

Originally Posted by mattwithcats
A Fram 7317 has the same base and bypass, but is a third longer...

If it fits, you may want to try it...

+1

That's what I use on my sister's Acura which came with the above mentioned 6607 filter, might want to try that on the Mazda.

Originally Posted by Eddie
Will you show us the guts? Ed

Sounds like you are talking about cleaning fish

A PH3593A will fit an application calling for a PH7317 or PH6607. It is a bit wider than both the 7317 and 6607 and about as tall as the 7317.

Going bigger yet (by a good margin) you have the PH3985. It is probably twice the size as a PH7317-- it's a tad bigger than a PH16 for those that are familiar, but it has the thread, gasket size, bypass rating, etc. as the 6607 and related filters. I use this size in my Odyssey with room to spare.

Using Fram numbers but you can cross reference to your favorite filter.

ANother vote for XG7317 if it will fit
smile.gif

Better yet, the Napa Platinum is still on sale for $4.99 for a few more days. The one you need is 47356
smile.gif

Had this on a Mazda CX-5 for 2 OCIs and 13k miles. Seems kinda small for such high mileage.....
Even at 13k miles in well maintained vehicle, doubtful you came close to approaching the 6607 holding capacity here. Especially so with the FU, and new oil at half the fci.

As suggested, if you choose and there's access space, you could use the 3/4" longer 7317.

FWIW, I have a 2018 Mazda 3 w/2.5L engine, same engine & filter as yours. I scored four, 7317 Ultra Guards on eBay for $15 (including shipping) from an auto part store. The boxes got wet and the cardboard seams fell apart. The listing said the filters themselves were in perfect condition and in fact, they were.

Anyhow... I've got one in there right now; they fit just fine in place of the 6607. No clearance problems with the drain plug and it doesn't come anywhere close to the plastic bottom shielding. I'm set for the next 3 years. As far as the Mazda 2.5L engine is concerned, use the 7317 with confidence.

Ray

Originally Posted by GSCJR
Fram calls for 7317 on most Acura and Honda anyways, not 6607.

Oil change shops are now using the 6607 sized filter on Honda/Nissan/Subaru applications to save $$$ via consolidation. Use the 7317.

Most all Asian cars and trucks use the same filter base plate and thread with the exception of Toyota. So you can try Subaru or Honda or Nissan or Kia or Hyundai or Mitsubishi.

A suggestion I have that would be helpful going forward would be to carefully cut out the media, Lay it out, and measure the area. Its a good idea to look in there for metal bits anyhow.

And yes I know I owe a some cut open Nissan China and Mexico filters I Have then on deck maybe today.

Last edited:
Seems odd to have something the size of my 19 HP B&S one lung rider engine … agree with others to look a bit larger for long runs even considering XG has a more "3D" media …

I'll take the advice given here and switch to the 7317 the next time around. Doesn't make sense to run the 6607 if a bigger filter can be had for the same $9.42 at WalMart.

Originally Posted by JerryBob
I'll take the advice given here and switch to the 7317 the next time around. Doesn't make sense to run the 6607 if a bigger filter can be had for the same $9.42 at WalMart.

Does something longer fit? I tried an XG3600 long one in place of an XG3614 shorty, and I barely got it to fit. It did fit though. Different engine. Maybe it will here.

I have a Mazda and was astonished at how small these are, but honestly, I'm kind of over it now.

The fact is, these are the spec filter for a lot of cars. Things from 4cyl economy cars all the way up to high performance fire breathing sports cars, pickups and everything in between. There are god knows how many miles on these filters, and many of the cars that run them are known for excellent durability and reliability and have been for a long time (see: Nissan VQs)

So really, I wouldn't worry about it. This filter is more than proven. It's small yes, but all that means is you don't really need a bigger filter on these engines.

Originally Posted by littlehulkster
I have a Mazda and was astonished at how small these are, but honestly, I'm kind of over it now.

The fact is, these are the spec filter for a lot of cars....
As you should be, and true that. Nissan specs the 6607 on most of their vehicles and has for some time. As noted, quick lubes and indies use the 6607 in place of the 7317 as SOP, and those are jobber tier filters being used.

This anecdote proves nothing to the contrary about using it here. Mazda specs this size, and Fram warrants the FU/XG series to 20k miles. Common sense says between the two of those, they'd have a clue about their useful life, holding capacity. That said, the 7317 is logical upsize if one desires a tad bigger/longer filter with similar specs.

Originally Posted by littlehulkster

The fact is, these are the spec filter for a lot of cars. Things from 4cyl economy cars all the way up to high performance fire breathing sports cars, pickups and everything in between. There are god knows how many miles on these filters, and many of the cars that run them are known for excellent durability and reliability and have been for a long time (see: Nissan VQs)

So really, I wouldn't worry about it. This filter is more than proven. It's small yes, but all that means is you don't really need a bigger filter on these engines.

I got engine knock first below freezing morning in the Winter on a 2014 Nissan 1.6L Versa Note. Dealer wouldn't fix it. Traded the car for a New Rogue Select with the 2.5. Got the same loud knock. Tossed the Chinese garbage filter and went to a larger, low efficiency filter the Honda 15400-PCX-004 FILTECH.
No Knock.

Explain why its not the filter.

I don't like it. Doesn't make sense. Almost went to an eletric car given issues with gas, oil, complex engines.

Nissan DID stop putting what I would call improperly designed/spec'd chinese filters on their engines.

They are now GOHNER Mexico OE.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back