Fram Ultra XG9972 11k Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just took a XG9972 and some Mobil1 EP 11k miles in my RAV4. I'm waiting on the oil analysis of that run, but for now here is the filter. Very please with the results...

IMG_20160213_165219285.jpg

IMG_20160213_165246508.jpg

IMG_20160213_165301319.jpg

IMG_20160213_165416822.jpg

From the back, the filter media still looks remarkably clean:
IMG_20160213_165432300.jpg

Do you have the drained oil that you could put in a clear glass container and take a photo of it. If not was the oil as dark as the filter? Thanks

Nice job on the filter photos.

The Ultra for my car is only $8 on Amazon. I honestly don't even consider any other filter anymore.

Looks great. Their media with the stainless steel mesh is very strong. The Fram rep said they use metal end caps on the Ultra because it is necessary due to the mesh. That is inconsistent with their cartridge filter's construction.

Originally Posted By: GaleHawkins
Do you have the drained oil that you could put in a clear glass container and take a photo of it. If not was the oil as dark as the filter? Thanks

Nice job on the filter photos.

Darkness doesn't mean anything.

Most of them sure look great i will cut and post one soon i was hoping to get 15,000 miles on it but they don't use the truck so much anymore.
Im impressed with the ultra so far i hope Fram does not cheap out on it and raise the price.

[/quote]

Darkness doesn't mean anything.[/quote]

It does in quite a few areas, maybe even oil. In oil these guys make it something:

http://trasko-usa.com/about/about.htm

http://trasko-usa.com/faq/faq.htm

The spot test is down further on the page. Whether it is something I don't know, I just happened to be looking at Traskos website so remembered they show dark/light oil as bad/good. I wonder if this method could be a poor man's efficiency test, or comparison maybe.

That filter looks good, but I had similar results from a factory filter.

How much was the Fram Ultra? My cost on the factory filter is about $3.80, so I am trying to understand the value proposition...

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Looks great. Their media with the stainless steel mesh is very strong. The Fram rep said they use metal end caps on the Ultra because it is necessary due to the mesh. That is inconsistent with their cartridge filter's construction.

The end caps need to be solid, like metal or high temp plastic, etc so the wire mesh + media can be potted into the end caps. The fiber end caps won't work for that.

They could theoretically build the spin-on filters with high temp plastic end caps too if they wanted. Don't know why they chose the plastic for the cartridge filters ... probably because everyone else does.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
That filter looks good, but I had similar results from a factory filter.

How much was the Fram Ultra? My cost on the factory filter is about $3.80, so I am trying to understand the value proposition...

I agree that the factory filter is well made. If I was running the normal 5k interval it would definitely be my first choice.

I decided to pay the extra for the Ultra ($8.99 @ Walmart) because I like the efficiency of the filter and its stout construction left no doubt that it would be up to the extended interval.

The regular OEM filter really isn't a direct comparison to the Ultra. The level of filtration, synthetic media and build quality is very similar to Toyota's TRD filter, which are way more expensive.

Hoping to take this next interval out to 15k if the analysis comes back strong.

Yes that is a great looking filter. Glad I got a few of the Fram Pro Synthetic filters on RockAuto closeout, internally they are same as FU.
Looking forward to the oil analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back