Fram Ultra XG3600 after 20,000km/12.5k mi

Used on a 2012 Toyota fortuner 2.5L diesel engine for 20,000km or 2 years.

Oil used was Amsoil 5w30 max duty diesel (DHD) for 10,000km then Amsoil 10w30 heavy duty diesel (ADN) for the remaining 10,000km.

This fram ultra is oversized compared to the oem filter (90915-YZZD2), almost 2x longer in height.

Comparison of oil filter media with my other diesel truck. Isuzu D-max which has an original filter meant for 2 years or 20,000km oil change interval. The Isuzu filter also had 20,000km on it which I just opened up a few days ago.

Isuzu has 52 pleats vs Fram ultra's 34 pleats. The Fram has beefier filter media which isn't a surprise. I can bend the filter media easily on the Isuzu but its pretty stiff on the fram.

I probably could go farther than 30,000km on this filter but I just wanted to cut it open. If I follow Fram's recommended 20,000miles I can probably go the maximum 32,000km. But since its oversized for my application I can probably hit 40,000km. Thoughts on that?

Last edited:
I just bought a Fram Ultra cartridge style for my Toyota Avalon, after watching many many videos of various filters cut open, etc, it seemed like the best filter I could buy easily off the shelf for around $10 bucks. So I’ll give it a try for my 7,000-10,000 mile interval I’m planning on running. I usually only run 5,000 mile intervals, but wanted to give a longer drain a try. Car doesn’t use any oil, not direct injection, non turbo, etc. Plenty of evidence out there that it can do longer intervals. Needed a good filter to go along with it. Now I just need to find the right oil.

Nice photos on that filter cut open!!

Now photos. What oil and filter went back in and on? Thank You
Same filter back on, I still have 2 X3600 filters remaining. Bought it at a bargain at $2 a piece. But they were 5 years old when I bought them (2017 or 2018). So These filters are probably very old by now. Still works great though.

Same filter back on, I still have 2 X3600 filters remaining. Bought it at a bargain at $2 a piece. But they were 5 years old when I bought them (2017 or 2018). So These filters are probably very old by now. Still works great though.
What oil went back in sump? Thank You

Since the 3600 fits your Toyota diesel. You can use any 95 ford Taurus V6 filter which is a taller filter. The same filter fits my 2015 4.0L V6 which is what I’m going to use next interval.

I use the XG3600 on my Tacoma also, which is the "oversized" option ... no problem with the room for it.

1643412097126.jpg

I use the XG3600 on my Tacoma also, which is the "oversized" option ... no problem with the room for it.View attachment 86539
Pretty sure the Taco and my Fortuner have the same Oil filter guard.

What oil went back in sump? Thank You
Hyundai-Xteer-Diesel-Ultra-C3@4x.png

Hyundai xteer 5w30 api c3/sn. Amsoil over here just had a price increase back in december so their oils were becoming less and less practical to me. An 18L box of these Xteers was cheaper to me than 2 gallons of amsoil. Since I don't go past 7k miles I'd bet any full synthetic would work for me.

Back