Fram Ultra XG3506 Cut and pictures of cutter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Filter had maybe 5k on it and was on my brothers 2004 4.8 Silverado, I told him he took it off way too early. And I included some pictures of the filter cutter. It's 75% complete and have some finishing touches to put on it. It works extremely well so far and if the final design works out it won't leak
smile.gif

I will post more pictures when it's finished.

Filter looks good! I just got a few on ebay for CHEAP and am confident in it's abilities after seeing this. I only plan on going 5K between oil changes anyway. This filter is more than capable for the job.

My car calls for the XG10060 (AC DELCO PF48 Equivalent), but I went with XG10575 (AC DELCO PF63 Equivalent) for the bigger size and extra filtering media. I can't figure out why the bigger filter costs more than the smaller filter. Just doesn't make any sense.

What oil was he running with the Fram Ultra filter? Oil looks clean after 5K miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Filter looks good! I just got a few on ebay for CHEAP and am confident in it's abilities after seeing this. I only plan on going 5K between oil changes anyway. This filter is more than capable for the job.

My car calls for the XG10060 (AC DELCO PF48 Equivalent), but I went with XG10575 (AC DELCO PF63 Equivalent) for the bigger size and extra filtering media. I can't figure out why the bigger filter costs more than the smaller filter. Just doesn't make any sense.

What oil was he running with the Fram Ultra filter? Oil looks clean after 5K miles.

They're a great filter, this is the second Ultra I've cut open. I will continue to use them as long as they don't cheapen them up. He runs the old Pennzoil Ultra and I think his stash is almost gone.

Filter did well as expected - thanks for the cut/post.
And that filter cutter is pretty nice as well
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: DirtyMoe21

They're a great filter, this is the second Ultra I've cut open. I will continue to use them as long as they don't cheapen them up. He runs the old Pennzoil Ultra and I think his stash is almost gone.

The old Ultra formula was probably the best synthetic oil on the market. Not sure why they got rid of it in favor of the new formula Platinum and Ultra Platinum. The new formula oils aren't anywhere near as good as even Mobil 1 now. I am still shaking my head over this.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The cutter is a work of art. Nice !!

I agree! You gonna start making them. I will take one!

Originally Posted By: CT8
The cutter is a work of art. Nice !!

I agree! You gonna start making them. I will take one!

You mean you will buy one

couple questions on the cutter...
how do you tighten it?
and what is the rationale for having the cutting wheel offset from the center of the 2 rollers?

I am always happy to support Made in the USA, whether filters or filter cutters. Let us know when you go into the business of making the latter.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
couple questions on the cutter...
how do you tighten it?
and what is the rationale for having the cutting wheel offset from the center of the 2 rollers?

Haven't made the knob yet, I was just using a rag to cover the threads and tighten it by hand during testing.

Having the cutting wheel offset was just to do something different, it wasn't for any particular reason.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Looks good.

Why such little miles on that filter ?

I'm unsure of his reasoning, I told him it was a 15k mile filter when he installed it. I do know he replaced the Ultra with a PH3506......I was a bit thrown off after that. Not much logic there, but I was happy to cut it open to test the cutter.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Looks good.

Why such little miles on that filter ?

+1

I'm unsure of his reasoning, I told him it was a 15k mile filter when he installed it. I do know he replaced the Ultra with a PH3506......I was a bit thrown off after that. Not much logic there, but I was happy to cut it open to test the cutter.

PH3506 seems more reasonable for his 5k OCI though, old PU replaced at 5k? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Neat idea to put that filter cutter in a collection box. However, the offset wheel coupled with the offset screw drive mains you have offset the two lines of force when cranking in the wheel. Creates a twisting moment across the two slider rails....

Originally Posted By: Team_FAST
Neat idea to put that filter cutter in a collection box. However, the offset wheel coupled with the offset screw drive mains you have offset the two lines of force when cranking in the wheel. Creates a twisting moment across the two slider rails....

That's the purpose of the guide shafts on each side, they help keep everything inline and smooth. I've cut open 5 filters so far and no twisting whatsoever. There will be a few more design changes from testing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Team_FAST

That's the purpose of the guide shafts on each side, they help keep everything inline and smooth. I've cut open 5 filters so far and no twisting whatsoever. There will be a few more design changes from testing.

If you make them, I will buy one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back