Fram Ultra XG10575 coyote 10k / 200 hours

As long as we don't start seeing any tears, all is good.

Media should be strong enough for whatever the manufacturer spec's for flow/bypass/construction/caps/tube/etc.

Understand that 'media shedding' has been an issue with some full synthetic oil filters. I think Donaldson expressed that concern years ago with their ultraweb nanofiber syntec xp media. Microglass 'breaks' and could be abrasive until the filter catches the broken media. Maybe Fram saw the 'cellulose support' as a way to prevent shedding of the synthetic media. Could be an upgrade even if only a 'blend' filter. Pleat spacing on full synth media takes that into account... glass doesn't bend too well. Cellulose can fold and is cheap enough to load up with pleats. Oh well, can't have it all anymore.

Just look how much money M1 made from M1 loyalists selling their 'blend' media M1 filter, at a heavy surcharge compared to other filters. Fram is just getting in on the profit margins too!

Better? Always an unknown... my vote is for an Amsoil EAO or maybe the RoyalPurple

I guess manufacturing quality is regressing for profit. How many companies were ruined by investment corporations and greed?

If would be funny if the PH or TG from Fram didn't give in to pressure... might want to try those next.

If you're in filter experimentation mode, wix/napa/purolator have a bunch to pick from..... silver/gold/platinum/xp/premium/one/boss....

Don't want to pay a premium for not so premium filters... might have to switch back to the XL filters from FVP, Champ, STP, Ecogard, PremiumGuard etc...

As long as I can get Boss/XP/Platinum, I'm going to hold on to the full synthetic media as long as possible. The dealer OE filter on my of my cars is a wirebacked synth media filter, and I can get the TRD's for a couple others. But, I will miss the XG3593/9688/8a/3600/3614/7317.....

Understand that 'media shedding' has been an issue with some full synthetic oil filters. I think Donaldson expressed that concern years ago with their ultraweb nanofiber syntec xp media. Microglass 'breaks' and could be abrasive until the filter catches the broken media.
It was Fleetguard, making hay about "media migration" with the Donaldson Syntec media, because the Nanonet media they use is one continuous strand, so it can't shed.

Donaldson of course responded to that:
Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 12.22.20 AM.jpg

Which is? (Serious question.)
Royal Purple, Amsoil, Donaldson Blue, Fleetguard Stratapore. Otherwise go the other way & change them at factory intervals & save your money. Too many so-called “premium” filters have backslided into regular filter territory; but, retained or INCREASED their premium prices!

With the soft synthetic media being pushed.flattened and moved all around by oil pressure, I have to believe it can’t retain some of the particles it catches.
It’s like when someone takes a throw rug outside and whips it around and the dust and stuff thats inside the rug flies out.
Fram should either start backing the media again with wire or nylon mesh or something or they should just use a synthetic blend media that can maintain its form without a backing.
But then why even have both the ultra and the tough guard ?

With the soft synthetic media being pushed.flattened and moved all around by oil pressure, I have to believe it can’t retain some of the particles it catches.
It’s like when someone takes a throw rug outside and whips it around and the dust and stuff thats inside the rug flies out.
Fram should either start backing the media again with wire or nylon mesh or something or they should just use a synthetic blend media that can maintain its form without a backing.
But then why even have both the ultra and the tough guard ?
The filter couldn't come in at 99+% @ 20μ lf the media was dislodging captured particles. Fram still shows the new Ultra media is still at 99+% @ 20μ on their website.

Last edited:
The filter couldn't come in at 99+% @ 20μ lf the media was disclosing caprured particle. Fram still shows the new Ultra media is still at 99+% @ 20μ on their website.
Meh I dunno, maybe but I’m just not feeling it. No way around it, they cheapened out.

Royal Purple, Amsoil, Donaldson Blue, Fleetguard Stratapore. Otherwise go the other way & change them at factory intervals & save your money. Too many so-called “premium” filters have backslided into regular filter territory; but, retained or INCREASED their premium prices!
XG10575 continues to go up in price - yet some feel it’s not what it was …
Walmart.com has the RP 20-500 under $15 - but suspect you’d need to order 3 to get the fast and free shipping …

I have the older wire backed Fram Ultra on a 5.0 coyote that will run it to 25K miles and eventually send to Adam for autopsy.

XG10575 continues to go up in price - yet some feel it’s not what it was …
Walmart.com has the RP 20-500 under $15 - but suspect you’d need to order 3 to get the fast and free shipping …

I've been getting them (XG10575) on Amazon for under $10 for a few years now. My F150 is a 15 and gets a yearly change of about 8k OCI. New version is on there now. Interested to see how it performs.

Back