Fram Ultra vs Extra Engine Air Filter

I just picked up a Fram Tough Guard for my 2010 Chrysler Sebring. Still says “Product of USA” on the filter, and the box states that it has a “coated media.”
79B20C58-6E5F-4C2A-B113-B0C1016CD8FE.jpeg
7D85139A-8DFF-4FBC-BBFD-C77C6EC685B5.jpeg

L8R,
Matt

Do you guys really limit your choices to what is for sale at Walmart? This is such a hilarious forum.

Just picked up a Fram Ultra for my Subaru Legacy. Didn't open box but says made in china and reaching into the box reveals the filter is not in a plastic bag.

Do you guys really limit your choices to what is for sale at Walmart? This is such a hilarious forum.

You haven't figured out that the term "frugal" can be used on here. I mean c'mon the pinnacle of automotive excellence on here is buying a beater for no more than $2,500.00 and hoping to drive it to 300,000 miles.......it's a forum where (for the most part) old cars come to die!

I cannot speak for everyone. But, I believe this forum has always been about price vs performance. So, yes if I can go to my local Walmart and collect everything I need for routine maintenance and not break a sweat then that is what I will do. We are here (majority of us that is) because we want the best bang for our buck. We don't want to overspend simply due to marketing and we don't want to get something that is subpar that we thought was decent. if you are only looking for boutique oil and filters, I just found a company selling motor oil for $20/qt. You can't find that at your local Walmart, and it seems like it might be the perfect fit for you.

Hope you returned it. Me thinks some one swapped in a cheaper filter.

When I bought the Fram element oil filter (for my wife's 2017 Santa Fe) the only thing in a plastic bag was the rubber gasket and washer. They are not going to spend the extra 1/2 cent to wrap the element itself in a plastic bag. The key is there is one of those round clear adhesive plastic seals on the box end. It shouldn't be broken or peeled off.

I have until February to return it if there is an issue. I haven't replaced the filter yet.

Interesting, mine was sealed in plastic.
Well, I'll be installing it in a few weeks. If it doesn't fit I'll send it back but if the seal is good I'll be happy. I only need to replace every 30 months especially with the few miles I drive.

Back