Fram Ultra VS AC Delco cartridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a 2019 Chevy Colorado with V6. I want to change the oil and filter at 1000 miles and every 6 months thereafter. The vehicle will alternate between short tripping and towing a heavy trailer in hilly areas. The Fram Ultra is rated at 20 microns in a single pass, and the Delco is 25 - 30 microns in multiple passes, as far as I can tell.

Based on the usage, is it worth spending an additional 9 bucks for the Fram Ultra?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Probably not. I have used ACDELCO and Fram Ultra, as well as Fram TG, in my Cad. All worked well, but I prefer the TG because I got them on sale for much less than either of the others!

One more thing...if you plan to use the filter for multiple OCIs, then go with the Ultra. Otherwise the TG has the same efficiency.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Oldtom
Just picked up a 2019 Chevy Colorado with V6. I want to change the oil and filter at 1000 miles and every 6 months thereafter. The vehicle will alternate between short tripping and towing a heavy trailer in hilly areas. The Fram Ultra is rated at 20 microns in a single pass, and the Delco is 25 - 30 microns in multiple passes, as far as I can tell.

Based on the usage, is it worth spending an additional 9 bucks for the Fram Ultra?

Where are you paying $9 more for an Ultra? Buy from eBay or rock auto in packs of 6 or 4-6 from R/A and it will work out cheaper.

I bought ultras on rockauto for my Caravan (they were $9 and change Cdn$ each before shipping). Other filters like the wix were under $6 each at the time. To me they are worth it. Use them for 2 OCI (or more of the motor is clean).

My oil on both vehicles stays cleaner for longer before it turns black. I know color isn't any indicator or the oils condition, but IMO it's doing a better job filtering the oil.

The Fram Ultra is rated at 20 microns in a single pass, and the Delco is 25 - 30 microns in multiple passes, as far as I can tell.

Fram efficiency is per ISO 4548-12 which is a multi-pass test (the industry standard these days). If you're doing short oil changes (5K miles/6mo for example), you could probably leave the Ultra on for 2 OCIs and be well below it's full usage life. Then you're paying less per filter change in that regard.

at walmart, the Ultra is $16, while the Fram Extra Guard is -$9 cheaper. The Extra Guard does have a 95% efficiency rating (20 microns, 4548-12), so its tempting to just cheap-out and get the Extra Guard.
AC-Delco probably has worse efficiency than either, tending to be paper elements in every application I've seen them in.
Certainly if you get the Ultra, use it for up to 10,000 miles, which for you might be 1 year and 2 oil changes.

The ACDelco filter for your Colorado appears to be made by Hengst. When I had a turbocharged Ecotec engine with a cartridge oil filter, the ACDelco Hengst filter had substantially less waves in the media than the Fram TG9018 after 5k miles. But Ecotecs are also notorious for abusing oil filters.

Last edited:
Maybe ACDelco made them more for efficiency than they did filtration?
Hyundai and Kia filters have low filtration % but higher flow rate, maybe this is why people are having issues with aftermarket cartridge filters on their Ecotecs?

I've never owned a Chevy, or GM product, is there a startup/ongoing sound difference in non ACDelco filters?
Just a thought...

The dealer should have provided two oil services. If it were me, I would use those first and not over think it. If you want to do the 1000 at your expense, take it to the dealer and save the two free changes for later. No need to worry about filters. Then you get factory service with the same oil and it is on the warranty and carfax record. My Chev dealer is quite reasonable on the full service oil change at $50. It includes several other things like inspection, tire rotation, reset TPS, and a wash.

No point in spending the extra money for the Ultra

Also, your Colorado has an OLM which tells you the best OCI based on your driving conditions
smile.gif

personally I like the a/c delco.

years ago I had a 1998 Buick Lesabre 3.8 / 3800 serices 2 engine it it... I put a Purolator One oil filter in it and at idle the oil pressure gauge would almost be in the RED... and I remember before I changed the oil it was perfect int he middle.. So I had people telling me that my oil pump was starting to go bad.. Problem was my grandpa left me the car when he passed away and it only had 38K mile on it.. It was basically a new car.. Garage kept also...

Anways.. I put a A/C Delco PF47 oil filter on it and the oil pressure went to the middle and always stayed there at idle or while driving.. So I took off the a/c delco filter and put back on a new Purolator One and guess what happend? The same thing.. at idle the oil pressure gauge would almost be in the RED and when I would give it some gas it would go back up..

So Im big into OEM ./ Genuine oil filters after i went through that.. Im not sure if some filters are just to constrictive or what.. however using the A/C Delco oil filter saved from having to put in a new oil pump b/c that's what mechanics were telling me and that job was not cheap...

Also my grandpa worked at GM in the experimental department for 23 years and before that he was a FORD R&D for 5 years and he would always tell me if you have a GM / GMC / Pontiac / Buick or Cadilac use A/C Delco oil filters and spark plugs or as many a/c delco parts as you can.. He said for FORD use Motorcraft.

He woud tell me how many hours for reseach they would do with oil filters and air filters and other parts and how the original part was just better.

.. Like think about it... If you get spark plug wires for your car I always tell people get A/C Delco ** if they have a GM ** and most times they will.. Sometimes people will get our House brand .. Driveworks or Carquest.. You can just see that Original / Genuine parts are much better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back