Fram Ultra : Two 5K Mile OCI's with GDI Engine ?

A 20K mile rated Fram Ultra oil filter should easily handle two 5K mile OCI's - however what about using a Fram Ultra with a soot producing GDI engine ? ... What impact does soot have on an oil filter and the length of time you can use the same oil filter if you have a GDI engine ?

A 20K mile rated Fram Ultra oil filter should easily handle two 5K mile OCI's - however what about using a Fram Ultra with a soot producing GDI engine ? ... What impact does soot have on an oil filter and the length of time you can use the same oil filter if you have a GDI engine ?
If you're talking about those Hyundai engines in your signature, I would run Quaker State Euro 5W-40. It's basically a 5W-30, but the specs on it and additive package surpass just about everything else. It's API SP licensed, LSPI proof, and dual rated for Gasoline and Light Duty Diesel engines. With soot, the type of oil you're running will have a far greater impact than the oil filter.

@TiGeo posted this QS FS Euro 5W-40 VOA a while back. If you can get over the psychological "5W-40" on the bottle as it's really a 5W-30 Euro oil in drag, then you're in good shape. I ran this in our 2017 Santa Fe and it did great. I will go back to it when I run out of Red Line 5W-30.

1657547409063.jpg

All else fails use and oil with the latest euro certs as they usually come with API SP which includes GDI timing chain test.

While its probably fine it feels like doing half the job to me. I change every oci even on the PITA location filters.

An old school Fram XG filter would be fine at filtering 2 or 3 OCI's on your vehicle's GDI engine. If it's a newer style XG filter WITHOUT the wire screen support, you'll have to carefully inspect the filter after 2 OCI's. Let us know how the new style does if that's the case.

An old school Fram XG filter would be fine at filtering 2 or 3 OCI's on your vehicle's GDI engine. If it's a newer style XG filter WITHOUT the wire screen support, you'll have to carefully inspect the filter after 2 OCI's. Let us know how the new style does if that's the case.
plenty of manufacturers use not that impressive filters for double or 2x this guys fcis

If you're talking about those Hyundai engines in your signature, I would run Quaker State Euro 5W-40. It's basically a 5W-30, but the specs on it and additive package surpass just about everything else. It's API SP licensed, LSPI proof, and dual rated for Gasoline and Light Duty Diesel engines. With soot, the type of oil you're running will have a far greater impact than the oil filter.

@TiGeo posted this QS FS Euro 5W-40 VOA a while back. If you can get over the psychological "5W-40" on the bottle as it's really a 5W-30 Euro oil in drag, then you're in good shape. I ran this in our 2017 Santa Fe and it did great. I will go back to it when I run out of Red Line 5W-30.

View attachment 107621
*Thanks - I would have never considered this oil in my 2.4L GDI Theta II engine ! ... I have used QSUD 5W30 in the past and it ran nice and quiet with no issues over a 4K to 5K OCI .

Looking for an oil filter for the Lexus today … a 15k Tough Guard seemed Ok - then saw it was made in China whereas for $2 more I got an USA made Ultra - might even do two OLM/OCI runs - likely would not on the TG …

I've done two 5k mile OCI per filter in my GDI Tucson with Wix/NAPA Gold,
and will do next two OCI with Tough Guard, with no worries.

Back