Fram Ultra / Purolator Pure One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: jfking106
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Use the Fram Ultra and stop posting with basically the same question for the 3rd time. You are way to paranoid about this whole thing. How long have you been driving and not even known (or cared) what type of filter or oil is in your car? If you are anything like me you probably didn't care that much as long as you changed the oil when the MM came on.

DON'T OVERTHINK THIS!!

Use the FRAM ULTRA and try it out, it is a top notch filter and the synthetic media will flow well. You could even keep it on for TWO whole OCI's!! That will come later as you realize we all are overthinking this stuff...lol

take care

This. If you're just doing 5000k oil changes, use the Ultra twice. Problem solved.

BLASPHEMY!
That is so wrong in so many ways.
27.gif

BOF, you're right. If it is only a 5k OCI, he should use the Fram Ultra for 3 OCI.

Nothing wrong with the OCI that you prefer. I'm with you 100%. Given the options you listed, my choice would be M1 & the P1.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If you don't like to extend drain interval to take advantage of synthetic oil, then Pennzoil Yellow Box or Mobil Super or almost any brand name dino will be more than adequate for 5k OCI. Purolator Pure One also more than adequate for that short OCI.

Ok thanks for the advice...but the ill continue to use synthetic, just because of the superior protection it offers. I think ill continue to use the castrol after doing more research, it the new titanium any better? and is the Fram Ultra a BETTER filter? I know both are adequate, but which is BETTER?

Synthetic oil will not give superior protection in short change intervals. Synthetic oil will have a slightly higher oxidation temperature, and a high TBN number in certain formulations, and will hold small particulates in suspension slightly better than dino oil, but none of that will produce any longevity gains with a 5k OCI. It is a waste of money to use full synthetic and high cost premium synthetic media filters for a 5k OCI.

I use Amsoil Series 3000 5W-30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil in my 2006 GMC Sierra Duramax (and a 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 with the 4.8L V-8 gasoline engine). Using UOA with the Duramax at 7,500 mile intervals, the oil has never tested as needing changing. I changed it at 21K and 50k miles along with both filters, but that is the last time it will be changed. The full flow filter will be changed at 25k mile intervals and the bypass filter every 50k miles, with testing done once per year. Normal makeup oil and filter refill oil will replenish the additives sufficiently to preclude necessity to change the entire volume. Retail cost of the Series 3000 oil is $133.80 per 12 quarts, enough for one change with filters. The full flow Amsoil filter is $18.85 with a life of 25k miles, the bypass filter $41.40 retail with a rating of 60k miles. There is simply no justification to use this oil and filters with a 5k OCI. All the extra filtration is not to protect the engine, but to protect the oil by removing contaminates such as fuel soot.

Any quality brand dino oil that meets your OEM specs and a quality filter will do the job extremely well. PS: I do not use Fram products. Purolator and OEM filters are okay, with Amsoil, Wix, Baldwin, and NAPA Gold being preferred.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: axlenut
Any quality brand dino oil that meets your OEM specs and a quality filter will do the job extremely well. PS: I do not use Fram products. Purolator and OEM filters are okay, with Amsoil, Wix, Baldwin, and NAPA Gold being preferred.

I like this statement. I think more people should think this way.
As far as the first sentence after "PS" , that should get some interesting replies.
35.gif

As a good compromise, maybe use Pennzoil Synblend oil. Saw 5 qt jugs at Walmart last night for $16.27...5W-30 Dexos approved.

The P1 is a good filter at a good price.
If you really prefer to use synthetic oil, do so.
You can also stock up when the price is right.
Combine sale pricing with an MIR and you can use synthetic oil for less than what you'd spend for any conventional oil.
There is a forum here that will alert you to any potential deals.
Given the way you use the car, 5K OCIs are probably about right.
Even with the use of synthetic and a higher tier oil filter, you'll still spend less changing your own oil than you would having it done, and you'll know that the job was done right.

Hi perhaps a little late, but here are my 2 cents. If I were you, (and I live in Fl too) and been able to use 20 weight oil I would use Toyota 0W20 oil (search here about it, Catterham Where are you?) and a synthetic filter, synthetic media is not just about capacity but flow (also search here) , it will flow better in any head to head match against cellulose or blended media, with this combination you get one if not the most flowing oil above 0 degrees and a filter that will slow it down the least. I do have the same issue due to my line of work but can't use 20 weight and need a healthy dose of ZDP in my engine otherwise I'll be using that same combination. I use Mobil one filters because I still have a few from a killer buy in Ebay but as soon as they are gone it will be Fram Ultra/Purolator synthetic/Royal Purple/Amsoil/Donaldso synteq. I hope this info would be useful useful to you. By the way, I can feel and see the difference in the gauge between 30,40 and 50 grade oil here in our "is not cold enough to make a difference" neck of the woods.

I'm not a troll, Im in the same boat as the op, I feel him

I was wondering the same things, is the fram ultra better for short trips and extreme driving conditions like city and cold weather startups since I want what's best for my engine

Originally Posted By: Shy
This is great information for alot of us newbies like me coming to the site. Thanks!

Something else to consider ... this thread talk was before the Purolator tearing media issues popped up.

I have been using the purolators on my ford mustang for a very long time. From what I understand they make motorcraft oil filters. Should I discontinue using purolators and switch to a different brand? If so what are some suggested brands for my car? I use synthetic blend oils and change my oil every 3,000 to 4,000 miles.

Last edited:
Even though Motorcrafts are made by Purolator, there are very few reports of problems with the Motorcraft filters. For your short oil change intervals, you might consider also using the WIX or NAPA Gold (same filter guts).

I was really confused at first, thought gregk24 turned into crazyoildude for a second and started asking the same things over again for a second until saw this thread was from 2013!!

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I was really confused at first, thought gregk24 turned into crazyoildude for a second and started asking the same things over again for a second until saw this thread was from 2013!!
Lol yeah I thought it was weird of Greg to be thinking of straying away from a Fram Ultra to a Purolator, then saw the date.

Yup 901 very confusing.. Looking back at this thread i was using classics which i don't use anymore. Stay away from anything that tears..lol

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
If you want pureone flow but good quality media.
Puro Syn?

Well, i saw that one and its too expensive for me....i just need something for 5000 miles, does the fram ultra have good flow? or would the PureOne have better flow? Really i need the best cold start/short trip protection. thats all my car sees really

If you are going to do 5000 mile filter changes, then getting a Fram Ultra is useless, just run a Fram orange filter. Fram Ultra filters are made to hold more debris, it will not filter better than the orange ones.

^^^ Ultra does filter better than the EG (99% vs 95%), but might not matter to most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back