Fram Ultra / Purolator Pure One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gregk24

Ok thanks for the advice...but the ill continue to use synthetic, just because of the superior protection it offers.

You're new here. Take people's advice, especially the ones that have been around a bit.

"dino" oil will not cause any more wear to your engine.
A 5k OCI on the most expensive off the shelf syn oil and filter does not mean less wear vs the cheapest name brand oil and filter.

We're all glad you're stepping up to the DIY part. Take same time to read and soak in more info from this site. Eventually you'll realize that as long as you maintain the car, oil/filter brand doesn't make much difference in 90%+ of passenger car applications. Then you'll start hoarding rebate/sale oil and filters and that's where real DIY savings come in. Value trumps performance for the majority of oil use on here. Unless you have some German or similar spec that must be met.

Originally Posted By: surfstar

Ok thanks for the advice...but the ill continue to use synthetic, just because of the superior protection it offers.

You're new here. Take people's advice, especially the ones that have been around a bit.

"dino" oil will not cause any more wear to your engine.
A 5k OCI on the most expensive off the shelf syn oil and filter does not mean less wear vs the cheapest name brand oil and filter.

We're all glad you're stepping up to the DIY part. Take same time to read and soak in more info from this site. Eventually you'll realize that as long as you maintain the car, oil/filter brand doesn't make much difference in 90%+ of passenger car applications. Then you'll start hoarding rebate/sale oil and filters and that's where real DIY savings come in. Value trumps performance for the majority of oil use on here. Unless you have some German or similar spec that must be met.

and i thank everyone for there help! i am new to these forums and car maintenance, i usually just take things to the mechanic. I just want the best for my car, i treat her like my baby. And my main thing is that i do lots of harsh driving...doesnt that account for anything? most people probably get out on the highway or have commutes to work, i dont. I live 3 miles from school and less than 2 miles from work...that equals oil not up to temp and fuel in oil and cold start wear. thats why i use synthetic for better flow and im assuming it clings better to parts. I know im a bit or very obsessive. car maintenance is something im adamant about. Am i wrong about the short trip thing? i wouldnt have a problem extending drain intervals if i drove on the highway mainly but almost 95% of my driving is short trip. and of that most is stop and go. and thanks again for all of you help! i really do appreciate it! im in the learning stage for sure!

Last edited:
Yeah, those kinds of short drives are a tiny bit more problematic than longer trips, but it is a minute difference. The solution is to get the car out on the highway every week or two and run 15-20 miles one way then back home. It's literally that simple. No worries.

Keith

For 5000 mile drains any conventional oil will be fine and any filter will be fine. Premium filters cost what they do because they are meant to run for extended intervals. The same goes for synthetic oil. At 5000 mile drains I will bet a stack that the wear numbers would be near identical using a syn vs conventional.
Unless you live in an extremely cold climate or drive the car on a track you are wasting money using a syn and draining at 5000 miles.
Take some of the experienced members advice here. You asked because you don't know so don't dismiss relevant info because it doesn't fit your ideas.

In any part of fl at any time of year any oil with the same weight number will flow so quickly even in a controlled experiment it might not be discernible. It's only when it's 0 or really even colder that stuff comes into play .

P1 and EDGE sounds like a good combo. EDGE has a high TBN it should be safe for longer than 5k. I don't see why 7.5k isn't easily doable with a safety margin in most engines.

I'm going to run the EDGE FST 8k in my S2000. Most here are going to recommend Mobil over EDGE. Most here are SOPUS or M 1 fans.

Either oil will protect you engine the same. If you've been happy with edge so far keep using it, it's and excellent lube.

Last edited:
In Florida, you don't get cold starts in the way that we think about them on BITOG, and the oil has more to do with startup delay of oil pressure than the filter does. As long as both filters stay charged with oil on shutdown, +/- 1psi in pressure drop through one filter compared to another isn't going to make any difference.

Either filter will do the job for you.

Just to give some perspective, I have 3 cars parked outside all winter. 2008 Cobalt, 2010 Corolla, and 2010 Mazda 3. The cold starts are in the area of -20F and I have seen as cold as -37F this winter. They do short trips and they get synthetic every 6 months or 5,000 miles. I have no concerns that the engines will outlive the rest of the car.

Right now AAP has 5qts of castrol edge with a fram ultra for 29.99. Look at the deals there are often combos with the filters and oils you listed. Try a few different oils by getting in on deals. If one "feels better" in your engine then stick with that and start a stash when on sale.

but the ill continue to use synthetic, just because of the superior protection it offers.

This is false. Dino will protect your engine just as well. Any name brand dino and a spec filter will serve you well. Pick from your fave brand and you`ll do fine :^)

If this is for the Accord, use a PureOne and change it every other OCI. Use whatever oil makes you happy. Anything can run 5k in an Accord. The differentiation between PureOne and Fram Ultra and Syn vs Dino is usually how long they can be used(see Volk06's post above). Assuming that you are talking about the Accord, it is easy on oil and filters and a 5k oci will be easy.

I personally like Pennzoil Ultra and Pennzoil Platinum. Currently using PYB in the ecoboost.

The FCI of two OCI is as per Honda's recommendation. If you think there is a bunch of gunk in the engine(very unlikely for that engine type), run the filter for only one OCI for the first few changes. If there appears to be a bunch of buildup, PU/PP advertise their unbeaten cleanup ability....

I'll chime in and say that at 5k OCIs, instead of going with the "best" syn and filter combo, go with a good quality dino. Take that money you save going with dino, and buy your girlfriend/wife something nice. For such a short interval, 5k syn is a waste of money and resources. You live in FL. It doesn't get cold down there!

PYB has very good cleaning agents and is a highly recommended dino oil on these boards. But staying on topic of this thread, I think either filter will serve you well. If you end up going with a FU, consider using the filter to its full potential. In other words, stretch it out to at least 10,000 miles at more than 1 OCI. If you insist on 1 filter = 1 OCI, then a good budget filter such as the Purolator Classic will more than suffice.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Originally Posted By: Darren270
Quote:
please share your knowledge/recommendation. Im still a newbie to all of this =P

Quote:
oil will be changed at 5000 or sooner, yes i know thats early spare me the rants

33.gif

i just dont want to do extended drains and it seems like everyone pushes to do extended drains thats all.

I was in your same boat not tooo long ago. I'm still overly anal and to some extent probably will always be. That said, Maybe wean your self off the short OCI's. Try PYB and a Puralator filter for a 5k OCI and send out a sample. Just once! I bet you'll see its all good even with your style of driving. That's a start! Proof is in the numbers!

Go with the P1 and TGMO 0w20. Flow will not be an issue.
You and your car will be very happy....just don't forget a new drain plug washer.
wink.gif

And my main thing is that i do lots of harsh driving...doesnt that account for anything? most people probably get out on the highway or have commutes to work, i dont. I live 3 miles from school and less than 2 miles from work...that equals oil not up to temp and fuel in oil and cold start wear. thats why i use synthetic for better flow and im assuming it clings better to parts.

Conventional oil (dino) will perform just as well and without a UOA you will not know what the short trips are doing to the oil. Bear in mind that a synthetic oil WILL NOT handle the fuel dilution caused by the short trips any better than a conventional will. The only way to counteract the fuel dilution is to change the oil more frequently or get it out on the highway and burn it off. You should probably run a few OCIs and UOA them and based upon the results you would then be able to make an informed decision on how far you could run it.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Use the Fram Ultra and stop posting with basically the same question for the 3rd time. You are way to paranoid about this whole thing. How long have you been driving and not even known (or cared) what type of filter or oil is in your car? If you are anything like me you probably didn't care that much as long as you changed the oil when the MM came on.

DON'T OVERTHINK THIS!!

Use the FRAM ULTRA and try it out, it is a top notch filter and the synthetic media will flow well. You could even keep it on for TWO whole OCI's!! That will come later as you realize we all are overthinking this stuff...lol

take care

This. If you're just doing 5000k oil changes, use the Ultra twice. Problem solved.

Originally Posted By: jfking106
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Use the Fram Ultra and stop posting with basically the same question for the 3rd time. You are way to paranoid about this whole thing. How long have you been driving and not even known (or cared) what type of filter or oil is in your car? If you are anything like me you probably didn't care that much as long as you changed the oil when the MM came on.

DON'T OVERTHINK THIS!!

Use the FRAM ULTRA and try it out, it is a top notch filter and the synthetic media will flow well. You could even keep it on for TWO whole OCI's!! That will come later as you realize we all are overthinking this stuff...lol

take care

This. If you're just doing 5000k oil changes, use the Ultra twice. Problem solved.

BLASPHEMY!
That is so wrong in so many ways.
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back