Fram Ultra Filter 5,000 Miles, 1 Year...Change?

Greetings, so i have run a Fram Ultra for 2 OCI's with Valvoline Max Life High Milage. I changed the oil at 6 months with only 2,500 miles on it, twice. I got some Quaker State 5 30 High Milage to put in but wondering if I can extend my Fram Ultra one more cycle? My car is a 2005 Toyota Corolla with 90,000 miles on it. I try to take care of it the best I can on a tight budget. The car runs great and I suspect rust is what will eventually kill the car as I live in the Midwest. I due to a lot of city driving. Thanks for any respones

I have a Fram Ultra in my Camry. At the pace I'm on I'll be changing the oil every 10,000 miles which works out to every 2 years doing mostly all highway and around town in suburbia miles. The filter says it's good for 20,000 miles. I'm in no rush to change it after 1 year and 5000 miles.

Why are you changing oil every 2500 miles? In any case yes, that Fram Ultra should be fine for at least another 5000.

I change my oil every 6 months because I do mainly "stop and go" driving"?

Greetings, so i have run a Fram Ultra for 2 OCI's with Valvoline Max Life High Milage. I changed the oil at 6 months with only 2,500 miles on it, twice. I got some Quaker State 5 30 High Milage to put in but wondering if I can extend my Fram Ultra one more cycle? My car is a 2005 Toyota Corolla with 90,000 miles on it. I try to take care of it the best I can on a tight budget. The car runs great and I suspect rust is what will eventually kill the car as I live in the Midwest. I due to a lot of city driving. Thanks for any respones

Its rated for 20K

Ive run them for 20K on multiple vehicles for over a decade now.
(thats basically what honda does anyway as standard practice with a much lower end filter)

I cut every one and have never seen anything resembling an issue.

As long as it isnt rusted Id leave it on, and wouldnt put one iota of concern on it.

You would have to cut it open and see what you have yourself. If it looks like only wetted with oil you can extend more. If sludged up you are doing the right thing changing it. Whatever your comfort level is on filter appearance. 90k isn’t that much on that car, people go twice that and still think (pretend) it’s new.

90k isn’t that much on that car, people go twice that and still think (pretend) it’s new.

I think age is taking a toll on the car. So even though it has only 90k on it, I don't consider it a "spring chicken". I'm realistic.

Why are you changing oil every 2500 miles? In any case yes, that Fram Ultra should be fine for at least another 5000.

I change my oil every 6 months because I do mainly "stop and go" driving"?
You are dumping perfectly good oil. You could easily do once a year changes without a problem.

I'm not the typical BIGTOG'r and struggled with extended OCI's. So even me is going to say at that mileage I'd simply change oil and filter 1x a year. The Fram Ultra is a stout filter. I use them in my F150 for 10-12k and the Subaru for 8-10k. Since you are only running about 5k miles a year I would move to a Wix or a Fram Tough Guard for the yearly OCI and sleep well.

If me, grab a Wix filter and do a yearly OCI.

WHY run clean oil thru a DIRTY filter!! your choice but machinerylubrication.com notes better filtering is even more important than oil choice! thats why big rigs use 2 filters, one a typical type + the other a bypass style that super cleans the oil. of course with cases of oil for a change + engines costing more than a whole car its more important!!

I used to be a 3K oil and filter service guy. Then 5K or 1 year.
Now I am still at 5K but the filter is in service for 2 OCIs.
On the 2013 Civic I went about 17K on the Fram Ultra.

Change the filter every time if oyu like, but it certainly is not necessary.

Some times when you're on a budget you have to do things you really don't want to do and besides how dirty can the oil be at 2500, I say go for it.

I'm running a Fram ultra on my civic for 2 years and multiple oil changes. Nothing wrong with it, many guys panic tell you to change it everytime etc.

Here's a link to the filter pics.

Its rated for 20K

Ive run them for 20K on multiple vehicles for over a decade now.
(thats basically what honda does anyway as standard practice with a much lower end filter)

I cut every one and have never seen anything resembling an issue.

As long as it isnt rusted Id leave it on, and wouldnt put one iota of concern on it.
This - it's a 20,000 mile filter.

(Sorry BOF, filtration has changed for some filters)

You could probably go easily for one year on a good synthetic.

Back