Fram Ultra Filter 5,000 Miles, 1 Year...Change?

WHY run clean oil thru a DIRTY filter!! your choice but machinerylubrication.com notes better filtering is even more important than oil choice! thats why big rigs use 2 filters, one a typical type + the other a bypass style that super cleans the oil. of course with cases of oil for a change + engines costing more than a whole car its more important!!

When my OCI goes over 5K miles I start getting nervous.
If my engine were to EVER use an oil filter multiple times, I think I would have to sell my truck! :oops:
Never by a Honda and follow the factory service schedule. 😄

WHY run clean oil thru a DIRTY filter!! your choice but machinerylubrication.com notes better filtering is even more important than oil choice! thats why big rigs use 2 filters, one a typical type + the other a bypass style that super cleans the oil. of course with cases of oil for a change + engines costing more than a whole car its more important!!

If you're going for maximum OCI with your oil, I'd agree with you here. After doing a series of UOAs and determining you'll go xx,xxx miles on your clean oil change w/filter, then you don't want to mess with that and should change the filter each time.

However....if someone is changing at 5,000 or 7,500 or OLM mileage then having your "dirty" oil, effectively starting with a couple thousand miles on it, won't matter.

Personally, once I establish the furthest my oil will go, I'll be backing off to about 80% of that to allow for reusing the filter.

Thanks everyone. I decided on using my Fram ultra for 1 more OCI. So when I change it the Fram Ultra will have about 8,000 miles on it.

From the Fram website concering the ultra:
Provides up to 20,000 miles/32,000 km of protection when used with an appropriate synthetic oil. Follow recommended change intervals as outlined in your owner’s manual.

Crud monster engines should avoid extending oil filter intervals. Toyota isn't like Honda with their A/B maintenance intervals. Even Amsoil learned a lesson.

Attachments

• TSB FL-2009-05-01 EaO Toyota.pdf
    45.3 KB · Views: 24
In all but the most extreme cases, the dirty oil being drained out of an engine is not completely useless. It is still protecting the engine, although it may be nearing saturation for its ability to suspend particles and possibly the TBN getting low with viscosity approaching out of range. Same goes for the filter -- the filter you remove and throw away is not completely plugged up. In fact, many articles similar to your machinerylubrication.com reference say that discarded used oil filters are nowhere near their capacity. There is always a safety margin built into these components and service intervals. This is why Honda said to use the oil filter for 2 service intervals. Many people use oil filters for more than 1 interval with no issues. Even with the small amount of used oil in the filter, the oil still looks clean after changing the sump because it's WAY more volume. However if your engine is known to produce sludge or you are cleaning out a dirty engine, definitely change the filter every time you change the oil.

Back