Fram Ultra… did they switch back to wire screen backed media or did I buy old stock? XG4386

I received some frams from rock auto today… I’m pretty sure the date code is for 2022… There’s wire backing on it just like the OG ultras I’m super excited but also confused.

Am I reading the date code incorrectly? I tried to buy more than two… But they said they were running low on stock and would only let me purchase two of them… But today I’m back on the rock auto website (after I realized my Frams have wire backed media and got excited) and it says that I can buy more than two if I want, so not sure if I got old stock but the box looks like the new style. There’s also no sticker on the filter. The logo is painted onto the filter like the new ones…

Any thoughts?

B550FDE7-EB52-4259-B910-2E850BDD42DF.jpeg
104F53D1-D8E4-4D5F-8F53-6A77923002F7.jpeg

2012? 2022 will we ever know?
The first digit refers to the year and the next three digits refer to the date identified as 1 - 365 days. The last digit refers to the manufacturing shift. For example, A63201 = 2006, 320 day (November 16) and shift one

Were Ultra’s around in 2012?
I see it as September 8th 2022…….but they are wire backed? 🤔

edit: So Mr Google tells us that Fram started to produce the Ultra line in 2012!
And now you know the rest of the story………

The newest box artwork doesn’t mention the “Wire Screen Backing” of the older box.
Maybe FRAM has in fact started putting back the wire backing without changing the wording.

Thank you for your guys responses… I was thinking the same thing, that the artwork on the box looks newer than 2012.

Normally I buy XG4967.

The XG4386 is a longer version, it’s the same 3/4”-16 threads and same outer diameter. It’s just that the 4386 is taller than the 4967.

This is the first time that I’ve bought this model # filter….. but I know for sure all my 4967’s with the same looking packaging do not have the wire backed media…

so maybe it’s possible that it’s just this particular model number which has wire backed media?

Possible, Although that thought it just pure speculation.

I was thinking the same thing, that the artwork on the box looks newer than 2012.
The box is the new style with the "Perect Seal Gasket" line ... no other Ultra box has ever had that line. No way it's a 2012 Ultra. The copyright on the box text won't be anything even close to 2012 either.

Here's an odd ball too ... Ultra with louvers.

I just got this ultra at Walmart this week for my f150.

Attachments

• 21570AD2-0CBC-4268-B354-1E3D16785EB0.jpeg
    21570AD2-0CBC-4268-B354-1E3D16785EB0.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 224
  • F5DC572D-9535-42D3-8BC0-F621566A9A13.jpeg
    F5DC572D-9535-42D3-8BC0-F621566A9A13.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 224
Thank you for your guys responses… I was thinking the same thing, that the artwork on the box looks newer than 2012.

Normally I buy XG4967.

The XG4386 is a longer version, it’s the same 3/4”-16 threads and same outer diameter. It’s just that the 4386 is taller than the 4967.

This is the first time that I’ve bought this model # filter….. but I know for sure all my 4967’s with the same looking packaging do not have the wire backed media…

so maybe it’s possible that it’s just this particular model number which has wire backed media?

Possible, Although that thought it just pure speculation.
:unsure: + :whistle:

Here's an odd ball too ... Ultra with louvers.

I missed that one. However, Champ Labs has used louvered tubes for a very long time. Since FB owns both Champ Labs and Fram, anything possible now with crossover of construction. Or, perhaps even switch louvered tubes in the future, who knows. Similar to what's going on with Wix now using Purolator type construction. First Brands and M&H are calling the shots.

As for topic, confident the days of OG 2 ply full synthetic wire backed media gone for the Ultra. Latest example pic this thread shows no wire backing.

Different plants/assembly lines.... have different 'end of supply' production dates.
When all the wire backed media disappears, then all the PN's will be the new synth over cellulose, unless the new media hasn't reached full manufacturing capacity. Its a roll out. Having all these mergers/acquisitions doesn't help. Can only imagine how many suppliers were dumped and how many were asked to double or triple output. Media supply is finite.

Be happy if you grab a double layer synth with wire backing. It was my preferred filter. If I don't see the wire backing, I simply buy another brand.

Corporate greed is sad, especially when sticking it to the loyal consumer that convinced many to use a 'premium' filter.

Actually picked up 2 AAP Titaniums this week that had the metal screen backing with the “Perfect Seal” labeled box, since AAP gave me a $20 off $20 SpeedPerk, so they haven’t all gone wireless yet. Date codes were A22042 (FS3600) & an FS10060 that doesn’t have a date code at all… These filters don’t appear to be big sellers at my local AAP, which is in an older, somewhat declining blue collar area (Reading, OH).

Yes i've had luck with titaniums wire backed at AAP... i think as you say its a inventory turn over issue more likely to find older stock...

I recently picked up every wire backed Fram in my size I could find on eBay that was not over $10 per filter. Most I got were about $7-8 including shipping which is fine with me.

At $11 I can get Royal Purple so I won’t pay much more than $10 even if it’s the OG wire backed. Although being that the OG performed better than Royal Purple… in theory I should be willing to pay at least $11 or slightly more since it’s superior to the Royal Purple…

My opinion is that the new version of the Ultra is actually significantly better!

50% more surface area 133 sqin verses 89 sqin for the new vs OG XG10535.

Plus the new media has slightly higher efficiency, according to Fram. Still better than 99% at 20 microns.

We just have to get past the wavy look of the pleats.

My opinion is that the new version of the Ultra is actually significantly better!

50% more surface area 133 sqin verses 89 sqin for the new vs OG XG10535.
I has to have more media area to still obtain the the same delta-p across the media (flow performance) and holding capacity that the OG Ultra media had.

Back