Fram Ultra Cut Open XG6607 (2,334 miles OCI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to jump in and agree with Fram's great customer service here and also note that I have switched to Ultras and using them for two oil change intervals. Less $, less work, and great filtering.

I always change the 6607 size filters a little more often than needed.

I'm moving to a Bosch D+ 3300 next time and may run it a little longer.

It should have even more capacity for dirt than the Ultra.

I'm always concerned about fuel dilution in the Mazda RX8 anyway so a short OCI works out well for both filter and oil.

Compare the two baseplates inlet holes, and both have bypass valves. Which has more inlet area? Check for a different reason for the perceived power loss I would say. There is a reason, but not the oil filter.

Originally Posted By: Motorking

Hello,
..................... Our filters ALWAYS meet or exceed OE flow rates. ....................My

I don't doubt they do. Like Ohm's Law for circuits these oil filters have a Resistance property. I saw some flow rate vs. pressure drop (fixed viscosity of course), and you could draw a pretty straight line through the graph lines. Therefore, a Resistance value would be fine. Also, remember oil pumps are constant volume positive displacement types which deliver an amount of oil flow rate anyway, not a fixed pressure (pressure relief not considered here).

Originally Posted By: fredfactory

Hello,
..................... Our filters ALWAYS meet or exceed OE flow rates. ....................My

I don't doubt they do. Like Ohm's Law for circuits these oil filters have a Resistance property. I saw some flow rate vs. pressure drop (fixed viscosity of course), and you could draw a pretty straight line through the graph lines. Therefore, a Resistance value would be fine. Also, remember oil pumps are constant volume positive displacement types which deliver an amount of oil flow rate anyway, not a fixed pressure (pressure relief not considered here).

Typical Oil Filter Flow vs PSID data here ---> Link

The graph of the data:

PureOneflowdata.jpg

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: fredfactory

Hello,

Typical Oil Filter Flow vs PSID data here ---> Link

The graph of the data:

PureOneflowdata.jpg

It would be nice to see the same data for Fram XG6607 and TG6607. On its own the "XG6606 has less than a 1.5psi pressure drop across the filter" statement made by Motorking is meaningless. Need to know what was the flow rate, what weight of oil was used and oil temperature the test was conducted at.

Luckily I maintain very detailed records on mpg, get gas at the same Exxon station, even the same pump, or Shell, and always 93 octane for the VQ37VHR (had just turned 20,000 miles). It will be interesting to see mpg for Castrol 0w40/PureOne PL14612 combination in the next few months.

For now this is what I have.

rBFIzsv.png

SthBqzD.png

Originally Posted By: davison0976
Luckily I maintain very detailed records on mpg, get gas at the same Exxon station, even the same pump, or Shell, and always 93 octane for the VQ37VHR (had just turned 20,000 miles).
So are you suggesting the oil filter on your vehicle is playing a major role in your MPG?
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Luckily I maintain very detailed records on mpg, get gas at the same Exxon station, even the same pump, or Shell, and always 93 octane for the VQ37VHR (had just turned 20,000 miles).
So are you suggesting the oil filter on your vehicle is playing a major role in your MPG?
smirk.gif

Hard to conclude anything at this point. I am considering 4 hypothesies, or any combination of the 4:

1. Winter gas. More drag from other (differential, TC and tranny) fluids due to colder weather.
2. Amsoil is a lubricant superior to PP, and possibly M1.
3. Oil filter.
4. Engine problem.

I am completely brands agnostic and will be looking to accumulate factual data before I'll have a good idea of what the reason may be.

Observations lead to hypothesis, which leads to experimentation aimed at either proving or disproving a theory.

Originally Posted By: Throt
The train of thought seems to be flawed. I see no way in which restrictive flow of an oil filter would decrease the ability to "go". If anything it will just go into bypass.

No filter is strong enough to drag down the power of an engine.

^This.

And use the 7317 if you can.

Hard to conclude anything at this point. I am considering 4 hypothesies, or any combination of the 4:

1. Winter gas. More drag from other (differential, TC and tranny) fluids due to colder weather.
2. Amsoil is a lubricant superior to PP, and possibly M1.
3. Oil filter.
4. Engine problem.

I think you can safely narrow it down to two of these:

4. Engine problem.

I say this because the difference between Amsoil, PP, and M1 for purposes of MPG calculation cannot be easily determined for you would have to have a data set for each oil spanning tens of thousands of miles with NO other variables in the mix and outside of a lab, that would not be possible.

IF (and this is a HUGE IF) a filter were to flow so poorly it could potentially cause a drop in MPG, the bypass in the filter would open thereby negating this as a possibility (unless the bypass is stuck closed and it that case you would be facing oil starvation/engine damage.

I would add one other possibility to the list--the driver. Our driving styles are not exact (they ALWAYS vary each time we drive) and I thought I saw the difference in the MPG was about 1.5MPG. A difference this small could be traffic conditions and how the driver reacted...

Luckily I maintain very detailed records on mpg, get gas at the same Exxon station, even the same pump, or Shell, and always 93 octane for the VQ37VHR (had just turned 20,000 miles). It will be interesting to see mpg for Castrol 0w40/PureOne PL14612 combination in the next few months.

For now this is what I have.

rBFIzsv.png

SthBqzD.png

Luckily, the graph shows your mileage went down in the winter months, not much else. Look elsewhere to find the perceived power loss, than from an oil filter.

I always see a MPG decrease in winter. Everything is a little thicker plus idling to warm up. If we get a January thaw, MPG goes back up with higher temps.

Also from your graph it looks like you chose your thickest oil so far for winter use.

I doubt any of this is a filter problem. I run this very same Fram ultra on a 2013 rogue. Doesn't bog down its 2.5 4-cylinder.

Last edited:
The filter looks good, but man is it tiny. Our Kawasaki Mule takes this size and it just fits. The WIX equivalent is too big actually.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
There in no chart with Fram Ultra flow rate you probably saw an older chart with an AC Delco Ultra Guard at the top most likely. That being said the Fram Ultra meets or exceeds the flowers rate of the oem filter which is more than sufficient for your application.

I have been trying to get Motorking to get flow/PSID data on Fram Ultras but it's a slow process.

A to why your engine lost power I doubt it's related to oil or filter.

This is the chart I was referring to. Please see 5th post from the top, but it's not the XG6607 that was tested.

Oil Filter Flow Rates

pi_filt_oil_gold_coldoil_thumb.jpg

Originally Posted By: Carbon12
I always see a MPG decrease in winter. Everything is a little thicker plus idling to warm up. If we get a January thaw, MPG goes back up with higher temps.

Also from your graph it looks like you chose your thickest oil so far for winter use.

I doubt any of this is a filter problem. I run this very same Fram ultra on a 2013 rogue. Doesn't bog down its 2.5 4-cylinder.

It's interesting how same XG6607 filter is specified for a 2.5L 4-cylinder as well as motorcycles, and a 3.7L V6 VQ37VHR engine capable of propelling a car 0-60 MPH in 5.4 seconds.

Originally Posted By: Throt
The train of thought seems to be flawed. I see no way in which restrictive flow of an oil filter would decrease the ability to "go". If anything it will just go into bypass.

No filter is strong enough to drag down the power of an engine.

Are you saying those in racing sports obsess over oil filter high flow rate for nothing?

There in no chart with Fram Ultra flow rate you probably saw an older chart with an AC Delco Ultra Guard at the top most likely. That being said the Fram Ultra meets or exceeds the flowers rate of the oem filter which is more than sufficient for your application.

I have been trying to get Motorking to get flow/PSID data on Fram Ultras but it's a slow process.

This is the chart I was referring to. Please see 5th post from the top, but it's not the XG6607 that was tested.

Oil Filter Flow Rates

There is no Fram Ultra in that graph.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

Oil Filter Flow Rates

There is no Fram Ultra in that graph.

I see. That's the ACDelco you were talking about. Well, then things may be worse than I thought because Fram ToughGuard has the lowest flow of all. Fram Ultra Synthetic, therefore, may not be much better either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back