Fram Ultra cartridge quality vs canister style

From any research and reading I've done the Fram Ultra seems to always be the best or equivalent to the best filters easily available when it comes to canister style (metal can). Is this true for cartridge filters too? Same synthetic media with metal wire backing? Or are things a little more equal in this segment due to less complexity?

Trying to decide if I want to run the ACDelco OEM filter or if it's worth the upcharge for the Fram ultra on my sonic.

It would be the Fram XG10246 vs ACDelco PF2257G

I have seen just as many high mile vehicles using quick lube oils and filters as I have seen vehicles running boutique oil and filters. That being said give the filter a try and report back. doing your oil oil changes makes the difference in cost insignificant. The most important thing an oil filter can do is not fail. The Air filter is the most important filter FYI.

Nothing wrong with the Fram Ultra, but the Napa Platinum is on sale this month for $7.49. Your part number would be 47674

At least in my application, the Fram Ultra (XG8765) uses plastic end caps and plastic cage. I have not dissected one so I don't know if the media has wire backing, but the media is the usual extra thick synthetic. It is probably the best filtration available but I don't think it is worth $12.xx. But to each his own.

instead, I favor the OEM ACDelco (PF2129G) which uses metal caps and core. I recently learned that the Supertech ST8765 is identical to the ACDelco so I will use this after my current stash is gone.

... Same synthetic media with metal wire backing? Or are things a little more equal in this segment due to less complexity? ...
I don't know about your XG10246, but the XG10358 cartridge definitely has the metal screen backing. The answer to your other question there is yes, in the sense that there won't differences between premium filters and others regarding parts that don't exist on cartridges (ADBV, bypass valve, seam, shell, etc).

Back