Fram Toughguard Failure (well, almost..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to think toughguards were decent, until I pulled this filter off a Toyota today:

That rubber piece sticking out of the center tube is just barely attached, and easily could have ruined the engine if it broke loose. In its defense, the oil came out really dark and probably hasn't been changed in a while. This still shouldn't have happened, especially not on a premium filter.

Based on the paint and graphics I think that filter is way older than "a while".

I'm going with "a very long while".
crazy.gif

Does not look good, should not have happened BUT that is one old Tough Guard. They haven't used those graphics in years, I bet that thing was on there waaaayyyyyy longer than any filter shoulda been. I'm talking years here...

The TG is a 10k filter NOW... back then it was rated for even less. My 50k tires don't look very impressive at 100k either!
laugh.gif

Are you gonna cut it???
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
..It can't be from this filter !

Might want to take a look at typical fram construction...

(In other words - sure it can)

I wonder if it could be due to fuel dilution over a number of years, rubber or silicone that is not rated for fuel contact might fail like this over a long period of time. Correct?

If that big chunk of ADBV had broken off and went into the engine, it would have certainly caused some major oil starvation in the system and some major engine damage.

But I agree ... this filter was left on WAY too long.

That screen seems like a good feature though, it trapped some metal shavings that could have gone through the bypass valve.

Originally Posted By: Oversteer
That screen seems like a good feature though, it trapped some metal shavings that could have gone through the bypass valve.

If that course bypass valve screen caught metal shavings that large, then that motor is toasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back