Fram... TOUGH GUARD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize nobody here willfully uses a FRAM, but I'm curious if the TOUGH-GUARD uses the same glued endcaps, or are they of a different design? If anyone here has used their filter cutting tool on one, I would be interested. Thanks!

They do use glued endcaps.. I have used Fram Tough Guard twice, and when I took it apart the filter endcaps and media were well sealed. The core was well constructed and the ADBV was in good condition.

I cut open a Tough Guard about 2-3 years ago and it had the cardboard end caps. Now that was back then - things could have changed by now.

Just yesterday I cut open a Fram Extended Guard (Fram XG16) that I'd run for 5K miles. It was a very well made filter : metal endcaps, silicone ADBV, coil-spring loaded bypass, and thick synthetic media. This is Fram's best filter, and my first experience with one. It's badly overpriced compared to other filters with similar features. But I got it on sale and I knew ahead of time that it was a good filter. If it wasn't for the high price, I wouldn't hesitate to use these (XG series) all the time. Normally, I use the WIX/NAPA 1068, which has very good filtration specs and all the other features of the Fram XG (other than synthetic media), but at half the price.

Phil

I'm always less concerned with the endcaps, and more concerned with the filter media.

Originally Posted By: Dominic
I'm always less concerned with the endcaps, and more concerned with the filter media.

I think you're right-on with that. As I recall, most or all reports of the cheap Frams being cut open indicate that the cardboard end caps were intact at the end of the service cycle and therefore they performed their function as well as any metal end cap.

So that aspect aside, the real important question is, " how well does it perform as a filter?". From the various filter studies and websites where filters were compared, the thing that stands out in my mind was that Fram filters had noticeably less media (lower filter area, in square inches) than the same filter model from other companies. And I think it was the 'Grease' study that actually measured filter performance with a bubble point tester. I recall the regular Frams as scoring very poorly in this test, but the Fram Extended Guard scoring fairly well. The low filter media area and the poor score on the bubble point tester is the main reason I stay away from Frams. The cardboard end caps just adds another reason to the decision. The Fram XG is the exceptionto all this, but the price/performance ratio usually rules them out anyway.

Originally Posted By: Dr_No
Fram Tough Guard is over 7.00

I can get a hastings for 6.00

That makes it an easy choice : a better filter for a little bit less money. I don't see Hastings filters anywhere here in Southern Ontario. But the NAPA Gold/Wix 1068 is around $6 so my money goes there and the Frams stay on the shelf.

Tough Guard around here can be had for $6. Wix and Hastings are hard to find and cost more.
If I watch AAP sales the TG or Purolator Pure-1 are often on sale.
The treated cardboard end cap has as reliable record as do the metal ones.

I always use the FRAM Extendedguard xg8a[FL-1A] [METAL END CAPS ARE THE BOMB!]It is a super filter for long OCI with Synthetic oil...I go 12-15 months/7,000MI wich ever comes first. For $9.99 at Wal-Mart, it's the same price as a Mobile M1 filter, and I think it is slightly larger.
happy2.gif
I look at it this way..$13.68 for gallon of SuperTech Synthetic 10w-30, and $9.99 for a Extended Filter= less than $24 for an oil change that is good easy for almost a year and a haLf of driving with extreme confidence in the oil $ filter-NO NEED FOR OIL ANALYSIS AND ALL THAT HAPPY HORSE DO-DO- IS WELL WORTH IT!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
If the paper end caps are so good, why then does fram use metal end caps on their top of the line model....

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
If the paper end caps are so good, why then does fram use metal end caps on their top of the line model....

Right...and why doesn't ALL filters use paper end caps then??

FRAM's just suck!!!!

Originally Posted By: BennyL
ya, where can hastings be found in southern ontario?

Just went to the Hastings website and typed-in my postal code. Turns out there's distributors all over the place in southern Ontario. But just not the usual consumer-type places like Canadian Tire, Parts Source, etc.

Go have a look at hastingsfilter.com

Mobil 1 sucks !!!

Disclaimer: I don't actually think that, it's just the only insult I could think of.

Originally Posted By: Dr_No
Mobil 1 sucks !!!

Disclaimer: I don't actually think that, it's just the only insult I could think of.

LOL!!!, see that's wasn't so hard was it?
LOL.gif

Mobil 1, I wouldnt say sucks, but it as well as KN is way overpriced and that sucks when you can buy a Pureone or Wix Napa Gold for half the price that will do just as good a job.

Fram are the cheapest filter you can buy in Canada. They are not from the best construction but the last one out of my son's Buick Century shows no sign of damages or internal failure after the OLM light came on at 9300 km interval with regular Q.S. Wearcheck reports all numbers normal at the last UOA done a 125000 km

at 4.00 here they are good enough for the job ;-)

Nothing wrong with the fiber endcaps,what is the element made of? I find the orange can not quite the quality for the money. The Tough Guards are much better ,I have cut them open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back