Fram Tough Guard phased out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by DudeNiceRide

I liked waaaaaaay back when FRAM sold the Ultra in "Pringle / Tennis Ball Can" pop-top cannisters. I imagine it was ousted for a cost-save!

I love those pop top cans! Fram should bring them back!

At this point, they are probably cheaper than the box switching
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by Bogdon
...the Fram Ultra oil filters sold at Walmart have a tight tape on the box, which is probably done to discourage what you note. In order to break the tape, the box will have a noticeable rip in it. ...
What if the switcharoo is done through the bottom of the box, which had no tape the last time I looked?

I bought two Ultras last year and the bottom of the boxes were glued shut. Recent production. Still won't stop the switchers. Not only that the box lets dirt get into the filter through the baseplate. They could put filters in those super tough clamshells. Some things from Costco I bought the clamshell was so hard to open really need a sharp box cutter and even then it was tough.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Walmart often restricts suppliers products to show them who's boss. If Fram comes to them with a lower cost, they'll be back on the shelf.

This is a possibility here... ↑↑↑↑↑

I have a smaller Walmart in my hometown and they do not normally stock Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filters in their inventory. They have a good selection of orange cans and Tough Guard filters though.

Last edited:
I just checked Walmart.com - - no TG's sold by them online, either.

It's a tough marketing spot to fill - many people will just say "For $2.00 more, I'll just get the Ultra"

With Extra Guard now good for 10k mile intervals, why buy a Tough Guard any longer? If true, it sounds like a good move to me.

Originally Posted by Bogdon
"I'm not sure they are.
But if they are, it's probably because so much dishonest purchasers remove the Ultra from the outer box and swap it with a Fram Extra Guard box and that means big $$$ savings

If that occurs enough times, the product gets discontinued
."

Is that an assumption or an actually stated policy? As has been noted at this thread, the Fram Ultra oil filters sold at Walmart have a tight tape on the box, which is probably done to discourage what you note. In order to break the tape, the box will have a noticeable rip in it.

At last notice, Fram air filters at Walmart don't have the tape. Hence, I've seen Fram non-Ultra air filters in the Ultra air filter box.

I've seen it happen many times. First thing that crossed my mind when I saw some stores no longer carrying the XG was because of theft. For the stores that carry the M1 filters, they're probably close behind.

Originally Posted by haggler
I recall seeing the new packaging style for tough guard somewhere, I think on this site. The theft problem is real though some of the reviews even say I opened the box and its supertech lol. Fram should seal the box, at least on the ultras.

Found this one on Ebay must be the new one.

[Linked Image]

Going to check at my local Walmart but I don't think the new ones are in stock.

Originally Posted by diyjake
Wonder why Walmart is phasing out the Ultra's. They are great filters and seem to sell well.

That just gives me another reason not to shop at Walmart.

21.gif

Originally Posted by 03s
Originally Posted by haggler
I recall seeing the new packaging style for tough guard somewhere, I think on this site. The theft problem is real though some of the reviews even say I opened the box and its supertech lol. Fram should seal the box, at least on the ultras.

Found this one on Ebay must be the new one.

[Linked Image]

Going to check at my local Walmart but I don't think the new ones are in stock.

It looks like I'm wrong because when I checked my local Walmart they had no new Tough Guard boxes but a mixture of old and new Extra Guard boxes and when I looked at Walmart in my size 3387a they had all of the new boxes online.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Walmart nicely stocked. This pic shows the old packaging and new.

P.S. ST6607 is now ecore. Looks exactly like ACDelco Champ made. Blue with a different sticker. I wouldn't dare run that in my Miata though. The PF64 I picked up for pop's 2019 Equinox is ecore as well. I would've bought Fram but couldn't find the PH12060 which they say is the equivalent to PF64. I think the part number changed or something due to bypass.

AND... the ultra's are sealed!

20200422_184425.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back