Fram TITANIUM FS9688 - 8000 miles on Hyundai GDI

Used on 2012 Hyundai Accent GLS between 105,000 - 113,000 miles. First OCI was Valvoline Synthetic Maxlife 0w20 for 4000 miles, second OCI was three quarts of the same Valvoline and one-half quart of Rotella T6 5w30 Multi Vehicle for 4000 miles.

I have posted in a previous engine noise thread about a known issue in which certain engine noise increases as an oil change interval goes on. This can trigger the P0326 knock sensor. Changing the oil and filter is one way of resolving this issue, if it is not an oil related problem the fuel injectors probably need a product like Royal Purple Max Atomizer run through them.

Just like the last filter I used, upon cutting the current one open the filter it was saturated with black carbon soot. The oil drained from both OCIs was completely black and a bit gritty as well. Of note there was a large accumulation of a gritty black substance at the dome of the can. I took pictures of what it looked like on my index finger and thumb, any thoughts on what this might be if it is not agglomerated carbon soot?

20201113_111133_HDR.jpg

20201113_111106.jpg

20201113_111337_HDR.jpg

20201113_111414.jpg

Previous oil filter thread:

Previous engine noise thread:

I would shorten up the OCI to no more than 5,000 miles, and use an OE Hyundai oil filter to ensure proper oil pressure.

I used the oil filter for two consecutive oil change intervals of about 4000 each, 8000 total miles on the filter. The previous Fram Ultra went two consecutive oil change intervals of about 5000 on the first and 4000 on the second, 9000 total miles on the filter.

I probably will run a Hyundai OEM oil filter after the Fram Titanium, which is in current usage, comes off. I will probably shortern the current oil change interval to 3000 miles and filter change interval to 6000 total miles on the Fram so to decide what would be most appropriate to do next with the Hyundai OEM.

Are you peeling off old sludge with your improved maintenance regimen? I mean 4000 miles is not very many on a full synthetic under usual circumstances. Done oil analysis? Maybe the amount of insolubles in the oil would be telling. It's just really hard to imagine it running rich enough to put that much soot in the oil, without there being other drivability issues. In the absence of those sorts of issues or any codes I would be leaning towards old sludge getting dissolved.

I mentioned in your other thread that running an Ultra XG9688 to approximately 14,000 miles over 3 OCI did not cause any noise whatsoever in my Sonata and I never had any inkling of any substances like that. The engine looked brand new under the valve cover. 100% full synthetic over the 50K I owned it, and the prior owner did 3000 mile OCIs at the dealer.

I am running two 4K oil changes on my Fram Ultra. It is a 2017 Hyundai SantaFe 2.4 GDI. I intend to cut the filter open at 8K and see what I have. If it is anything unusual I will post it with pics.

Yes, that is what they do in the USA also for "severe service" but almost every Hyundai dealer will tell you that you have severe service, no matter where you are in the USA.

I would shorten up the OCI to no more than 5,000 miles, and use an OE Hyundai oil filter to ensure proper oil pressure.

How do you know the Hyundai OEM filter is going to provide better/proper oil pressure when the oil pump is a positive displacement device?

I agree with others saying to shorten the OCIs on this vehicle.

Shorten the FCI, the Filter Change Interval!

I would have to do some digging around to find the original source but anecdotally I recall some officals from Hyundai being adamant about not using the OEM oil filter more than 7500 miles. With my engine as it stands in its current condition it is reducing the capture capacity of a Fram Ultra/Titanium by more than half.

So even though I have a Fram Titanium on there right now I will probably only run it for two consecutive 3000 mile oil change intervals so to continue measuring results. Who knows I may change my mind and pull it off after only 3000 miles, I would actually be interested in seeing how much it is loaded up after only 3000 miles.

Yes, that is what they do in the USA also for "severe service" but almost every Hyundai dealer will tell you that you have severe service, no matter where you are in the USA.
Mandated in Canada at 3750 miles to maintain warranty vs a dealer recommendation in the US is a big difference.

Good that it's cut open to see it was, in my opinion, used too long. You may think it was ok, and that's also ok. This is the way to do it, not by the maximum miles on the box.

I’d use an inexpensive (or OEM) filter, a HM 5W-30, and do several 3k oil and filter changes until this thing cleans up.

Wow, that's an awful lot of black gunk in such a short interval---hundreds if not thousands of times the amount I see after longer filter change intervals (with port injection).
Any clue whether it's being produced continuously, or is (as some have implied) coming from clean-up of a large previous accumulation?

Oh wow, it’s 2020 yet folks here still keep repeating this mantra about the OEM filter.
OP, thanks for c&p!

Back