Fram TG9018, 8532 miles w/ PU 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Fram ToughGuard TG9018 was in service for 8,532 miles with Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 SN on my girlfriend's 2009 Pontiac G5 (2.2L Ecotec, 39,639 miles at time of oil change).

knnxScJ.jpg

SS0M364.jpg

WTParju.jpg

caAigrr.jpg

SoLtfsl.jpg

I guess it got crushed from the oil filter housing when I tightened it, but I haven't seen any holes or tears in the media. I am not able to fit a torque wrench to tighten to spec since there's some other component directly above the housing which doesn't allow for much clearance for the socket or a ratchet.

I replaced the filter with a Fram Ultra XG9018 and another 5qt jug of Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 SN.

I still have the filter if anybody desires more photos of something specific.

There is a blue blob of RTV or glue or something between the housing cap and its housing, I'd guess from a previous service at a dealer or quick lube. I tightened the housing until the two marks were aligned, more or less - and the cap bottomed out at that point as well.

Thanks for posting. I've never seen a cartridge filter compress quite that much. The housing that holds the cartridge filter in my TDI screws down to a positive stop before the cartridge can crush. Does this assembly require you to screw it down to a certain torque? If not, then I agree with one of the previous posts in that it seems the filter is oversize for this application.

I have never seen an OEM filter (car had a CH9018 when I first serviced it, which you can see photos of here), but next time I buy a filter I will compare its length to an ACDelco. I should have taken a photo of the Fram Ultra next to the used Fram Toughguard, but I didn't think to.

The housing cap has a specific torque, but as I said in the first post I cannot fit a torque wrench in the limited clearance above the oil filter housing cap.

I used tough guard filters on my last car for yrs and it was at 215k miles when traded in. but that filter is weird looking, plastic? haven't really seen that before, I cut one open recently and in had the cardboard end caps. I really like PU but I won't be using any more tough guard filters the Mopar OEM for my car on 30 cents more. but normally I get oil change specials at the parts stores n I probably got 6 months worth more already. it looks like the filter held up well I just think it's weird to have it made of plastic but I guess it works

Originally Posted By: SLATRON
I used tough guard filters on my last car for yrs and it was at 215k miles when traded in. but that filter is weird looking, plastic? haven't really seen that before, I cut one open recently and in had the cardboard end caps. I really like PU but I won't be using any more tough guard filters the Mopar OEM for my car on 30 cents more. but normally I get oil change specials at the parts stores n I probably got 6 months worth more already. it looks like the filter held up well I just think it's weird to have it made of plastic but I guess it works

This is a cartridge filter, not a spin-on canister filter. Every cartridge filter, as far as I know, uses a plastic inner cage to support the media.

Yep, this is one of those squished looking ecotec cartridges that get posted occasionally. I've read/seen where there may be some slight twisting of the filter when the housing cap is tightened. But, based on the ecotec pic postings here some come out looking like new, and some look like this.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Towncivilian
This is a cartridge filter, not a spin-on canister filter. Every cartridge filter, as far as I know, uses a plastic inner cage to support the media.

Some cartridge filters have metal inner cage, Some cartridge filters have no inner cage at all.

The ones that don't have cages will have internal support built into the housing, which i prefer, since you don't have to worry about the filter differences.

Fairly common in the Ecotec. As long as the media isn't compromised I don't think it's a really big issue but I didn't like it. I never got around to trying an ACDelco but I think from the majority of the pics we've seen are about the best for this issue. The K&N was about the prettiest filter for this app that I've seen and also came out straight.

I am not able to fit a torque wrench to tighten to spec since there's some other component directly above the housing which doesn't allow for much clearance for the socket or a ratchet.

You might be using it already, but there is a specific "short" socket for the filter cap. I can look for the part number if you want when I get home, I believe its a 32mm (I can never remember the one I had to get for the Cruze versus my parents Cobalt) and lisle makes one (among other manufacturers).

The crushing, like others have said, seems to be common on the Ecotecs with a lot of the aftermarket filters from what I've seen in other threads. I opted for the Delco when I did my parents because of this (replaced the Pronto sayjac linked above), though I'm tempted to switch to an FU for a few oil changes.

Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
I am not able to fit a torque wrench to tighten to spec since there's some other component directly above the housing which doesn't allow for much clearance for the socket or a ratchet.

You might be using it already, but there is a specific "short" socket for the filter cap. I can look for the part number if you want when I get home, I believe its a 32mm (I can never remember the one I had to get for the Cruze versus my parents Cobalt) and lisle makes one (among other manufacturers).

I have a Lisle 32mm socket I bought from Carquest. There is still not enough clearance.

The Purolator Classic's have been coming out looking great on my two Cobalts. I am trying a Auto Extra right now in my 07 and I will put up some pictures on here of the results. The Purolator Classic is a great choice for the Ecotec in my opinion and the price at Walmart cannot be beat. The next change for one of my Cobalt's will be the AC delcos but after that I might try the K&N PS series. I think they retail for about 6 bucks on Amazon which sounds decent for a K&N filter. I know there not the expensive K&N like Advance Auto Parts sells but still a respected brand. I actually have have good luck with Fram products in the past but from this post I may avoid the Tough Guards for Ecotec applications. I am actually running a Tough Guard on my Dodge now with zero complaints. Thanks again for the pictures!

My girlfriend had a 2006 Cobalt and the cartridge never looked wavy. IIRC, you cannot over compress the filter as the cap has a lip. You'd crack the cap before compressing the filter.

My 2.2 in my old HHR took that filter. Sometimes they would look like that and sometimes come out all straight

Lot of duplicity in those filters. A lot are all made in the same factory in either China, Bulgaria or Korea and just rebranded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back