Fram TG3614 Cut Open 9100KM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Run

Mostly highway miles and winter driving. Despite being a little wide around the seam I say it held up well. I would use another.
2q2mn82.jpg

2vcztjk.jpg

2uh2ura.jpg

294nluv.jpg

idyubt.jpg

Originally Posted By: Run
9100KM or 5600Mi Oil was Maxlife 5w-30

Not FULL SYNTHETIC a syn blend folks, turn the lights off, it's over. lol, jjk. (reason being, it has synthetic media and the oil, imo, should be FULL SYN. And by that I mean elite BITOG type stuff. So what I am gleaning is this TG could do better with better base stocks etc et al of full synthetics coarsening thru its veins.

It doesn't matter cuz it held up well, either way. Way to go, little TOUGH GUARD, put in work and show em. This puts the onus on FU though.

Originally Posted By: Zee09
Too bad Pop Rivit is gone
frown.gif

NO, too bad the "GHT" is back and spewing nonsense in every thread
frown.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Tough guard is my #2 choice, M1-110A is my FIRST choice on the Nissan qr25DE. LAST choice is the garbage quality, engine destroying HECHO EN CHINE NISSAN Service parts filters.

Too bad I have to pay a premium for a premium CHAMPION LABS filter with Mobil name on it.

Hey if the engine runs excellent with it Ill pay the extra 3 or 4 dollars every 4 or 5 months.

Its IS that much better.

Last edited:
I am all for seeing stuff, but every filter besides construction, all look the same. No massive dirt chucks, nothing but an oil wet filter. We ALL have to see the dry version. So other then the owner wanting to see if he had ripped media, I don't see the point. And yes I normally dont look at then and yes I know then you will say don't and yes I agree with you. It's not like looking at an UOA that has change. Not at all bashing this guy or others that do it, but again does anyone else see in most cases it is pointless?

Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike

Not FULL SYNTHETIC a syn blend folks, turn the lights off, it's over. lol, jjk. (reason being, it has synthetic media and the oil, imo, should be FULL SYN. And by that I mean elite BITOG type sht. So what I am gleaning is this TG could do better with better base stocks etc et al of full synthetics coarsening thru its veins.

It doesn't matter cuz it held up well, either way. Way to go, little TOUGH GUARD, put in work and show em. This puts the onus on FU though.
C'mon, Bro, you know the TG is synthetic BLEND media, which makes it a perfect match for synthetic BLEND MaxLife. Maybe the blending percentages didn't match, that's why it had that pleat distortion! I'm still not a huge fan of these, and the Extra Guard or Ecore, in a long OCI-there's just too much happening to the pleats over time, although this one did decent.

Originally Posted By: car51
Originally Posted By: Zee09
Too bad Pop Rivit is gone
frown.gif

NO, too bad the "GHT" is back and spewing nonsense in every thread
frown.gif

Agree. Even if someone can understand his dialect, I hope they don’t follow his poor advice.

Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike

Not FULL SYNTHETIC a syn blend folks, turn the lights off, it's over. lol, jjk. (reason being, it has synthetic media and the oil, imo, should be FULL SYN. And by that I mean elite BITOG type sht. So what I am gleaning is this TG could do better with better base stocks etc et al of full synthetics coarsening thru its veins.

Sorry bro, you're getting mixed up with the Ultras. The Tough Guards are synthetic blend, just like Maxlife. It has synthetic fibers with cellulose fibers.

Well the formulation I am using was built in 2010 alongside the SN cert so I'm not looking for pure fiber material and a blend is ok. Prolly a better match for the oil if I use a TG! I will get the FU on deck. Only got 15k on the meter so filtering is not a huge priority on a brand new engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WillB
Good to see the TG is a quality filter too.

it bears repeating, the TG is a beast.

An oil filter doesn't work any differently because of the kind oil used (ie, conventional, semi-synthetic or full synthetic).

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
An oil filter doesn't work any differently because of the kind oil used (ie, conventional, semi-synthetic or full synthetic).

I thought it was hot knife thru butter if it was synthetic on synthetic but could I have been right. Anhoo, I am getting FU on deck with same oil for another OCI with greatness.

Last edited:
A full synthetic oil might give a little less delta-p on winter cold starts, but not enough to make any real filter function difference if you're using the right oil viscosity for the climate you're in.

Originally Posted By: Mainia
I am all for seeing stuff, but every filter besides construction, all look the same. No massive dirt chucks, nothing but an oil wet filter. We ALL have to see the dry version. So other then the owner wanting to see if he had ripped media, I don't see the point. And yes I normally dont look at then and yes I know then you will say don't and yes I agree with you. It's not like looking at an UOA that has change. Not at all bashing this guy or others that do it, but again does anyone else see in most cases it is pointless?

It is just interesting.
This is how one can keep on top of how well filter manufacturers are doing on QC and such.

I cut mine open just because. I have found tears, I have found debris, as well as finding nothing of interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back