Fram TG - unusual indent

Not sure the picture will come out on computer screens, but I was going to run a Fram TG3600 and get a particle count on our RX330, but when I took it out of the box, I noticed an unusual indent along the top of the filter. Of course, I can't find the Wal-Mart receipt and I decided to put on a Toyota filter that I had in my stash after seeing that. Would the BITOG faithful have used this filter? Any ideas what happened?

fram.png

You can definitely feel a crease along the top. 5k oil changes is my interval.

I was thinking Wal-Mart would likely exchange it, but hadn't tried yet. Thought it would be good to get some opinions.

Last edited:
Something heavy on it, or something dropped onto it. With a dent on the end, i personally would not run that. I would run a filter with a slight dent on the side, before one with a dent/crease near the end caps. But that's just me.

Hard to see clearly but more likely than not this was a misalignment of some description in the former for the casing.

Shouldn't have any adverse effect

My Walmart still has signs up about no returns during this time lol. I don’t use Fram filters but it doesn’t appear to be hurting anything but I don’t know I am interested to see.

I have used filters like that before and they popped right out when the engine was started. Although these days I probably wouldn't if there is a bypass on that end. Priorities were different when I was younger hahaha.

Looks like a manufacturing error to me. Something wasn’t where it should have been. I might run it, but I’d probably take it back to hellmart for exchange.

I wouldn’t run it. It’s flawed from the manufacturer. It happens.

The bypass and spring nests in the center of that that dome. Can’t remember if it’s coil or leaf. If it’s a leaf, it could actually be damaged already.

Anyways, if that dome is offset to the actual “tube” of the filter, that could create issues. No thanks.

The bypass spring would be resting in or near that area, not good. If the leaf spring is pushed over even a little it tilts the element over with it.The adbv rubber is pretty thick to take some tilting but it isn't something to play with for what it costs imo.

Run it? Nope! - especially with the polymer bypass valve sitting in a leaf style spring.

It Looks like it was the second to bottom row on the case and the case was dropped.
Or it was on the top row and the case was dropped (or thrown in to the semi-trailer) upside down.
Now I cant recall if those filters are base end down in the box or not! Whatever.
It could work fine - but I would not risk a 5K engine for a 5 dollar part "Bet".

But I think BlueOval has some 'splainin' to do,
but he is a risk takin' guy running with the blue ovals anywho :)

Last edited:
Back