Fram TG-9688 - 8578 miles/9 months C&P

Status
Not open for further replies.
This it off my sisters 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe with the 4 cylinder.

8578 miles/9 months on filter and oil (Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20). 155,040 miles on vehicle.

Filter:

Baseplate:

Silicone ADV, nice and pliable with no rips or tears:

Inside the can, a little debris (looks like some carbon bits??):

Bypass valve/spring:

Media pleat spacing looks good with no rips or tears:

Media all apart (looks good)

Filled with QSUD 0w-20 and used a Mobil 1 M1-110 EP filter (thanks again DuckRyder)

Total cost, well, I was paid a dollar (Oil was $9 for the jug, had a $10 rebate, and DuckRyder sent me the filter).
thumbsup2.gif

This filter looks a whole lot better than the last one I took off it.
I realized this is the first Fram canister filter I have used (and paid full price for) in probably 15 years (not counting the Frampion Car Quest filters).

I used a Fram Ultra Cartridge on my moms car, but she had the oil changed at a shop so no idea how it faired (fine I am sure).
I have to say I am impressed. I have seen lots of C&P of these filters here, but actually having one in hand makes me appreciate it more.
The media was very tough to cut (broke my utility knife cutting it) and the fiber end caps are stout.
I figured I would have no problems with these filters, and now that I have cut one apart, I have no issues at all.
Wish I had grabbed more of the clearance ones at Walmart a while back.

While I had her car, I also changed the spark plugs (original plugs were still in it) and changed the air filter.

Wow, 155K miles on the original spark plugs ... how'd they look? Engine probably runs a bit better with some new spark plugs. Filter looks pretty good - thanks for the C&P.

I am glad I seen this as I am going to be switching to TG's in both my vehicles this coming spring.

I highly doubt I will be reaching 8,000 miles, let alone 8,000 kms so it's nice to see I should have no worries.

I was going to ask why the switch with the oil and filter but if I was paid to run a good brand of oil, I would do the same.
grin.gif

Thanks for the C&P.
11.gif

Nice looking filter. I'm a big fan of the TG. It's a superb filter, especially if you're not one to run an Ultra for multiple oil changes (like myself). Easy to get at Walmart along with the oil. Wish they made one for my LR3.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Wow, 155K miles on the original spark plugs ... how'd they look? Engine probably runs a bit better with some new spark plugs. ...

Not too bad actually.

Not sure why the 3 on the right have brown on the bottom of the porcelain?

She said she has noticed it being a little hard to start sometimes and her gas mileage is not what it used to be.
I noticed when I picked it up today it was hard to start (had to give it a little gas right when starting). It was still warm when I started it when I was done and started just fine.

Originally Posted By: irv
I am glad I seen this as I am going to be switching to TG's in both my vehicles this coming spring.

I highly doubt I will be reaching 8,000 miles, let alone 8,000 kms so it's nice to see I should have no worries.

I was going to ask why the switch with the oil and filter but if I was paid to run a good brand of oil, I would do the same.
grin.gif

Thanks for the C&P.
11.gif

I would have no issues using this filter for 10,000 miles, so a ~5,000 mile interval is easy for it.

I have a little stash of filters, so I had to choose between this M1, a Purolator PSL (the old synthetic media with metal mesh backing), Bosch Distance Plus, or another Tough Guard.
These filters also fit my motorcycle, so I plan on using the TG for the bike (and maybe the PSL).
Will be using the Bosch D+ next on the Hyundai (I have 2 of them).

I also have a Purolator Pure One (the yellow can), but am not going to use it.

That filter looks great!
(nothing as far as debris is concern,
especially compared to your brother's 5.4!
shocked.gif
)

Those plugs look **fantastic** for the miles!

Love love love fine-wire Iridiums!

Originally Posted By: Linctex
That filter looks great!
(nothing as far as debris is concern,
especially compared to your brother's 5.4!
shocked.gif
)

Those plugs look **fantastic** for the miles!

Love love love fine-wire Iridiums!

Yeah, his 5.4 has had better days.

Amen car51. Well said.

Great work here blupupher. Those TGs are quite good indeed. I think they are "underrated" in a certain way. Fram Ultra gets a lot of glory and understandably so. But the TG is a very good filter option as well.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Amen car51. Well said.

Great work here blupupher. Those TGs are quite good indeed. I think they are "underrated" in a certain way. Fram Ultra gets a lot of glory and understandably so. But the TG is a very good filter option as well.

Problem is Fram is pricing the TG out of their value range.
I was at WalMart yesterday and saw the TG9688 was priced @ $8.96, the XG9688 is priced @ $9.63, while the PH9688 (now with silicone ADV) is still priced @ $3.77.
21.gif

Yeah that is stupid there. My 7317 Fram orange is $3.77, the TG is $6.64, the Fram Ultra is $8.98. So at least my area Walmart has the TG 7317 somewhere near a reasonable price point.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Problem is Fram is pricing the TG out of their value range.
I was at WalMart yesterday and saw the TG9688 was priced @ $8.96, the XG9688 is priced @ $9.63, while the PH9688 (now with silicone ADV) is still priced @ $3.77.
21.gif

The 9688 series is what's spec'd for my Hyundai, and I noticed this same pricing situation at WM. I would buy the TG9688 filter, but why would I when the Ultra XG9688 filter costs only $0.67 more. That price for the TG9688 filter doesn't make any sense.

Sorry to thread-jack, but I didn't want to make a new post just for this reply. Do some of you remember me asking about using a BOSCH PREMIUM 3330 oil filter (short 3614 equivalent) on my 4.2 V6 engine? Well, I gave that filter away, along with 5 qts. of SHELL FORMULA 10W30 oil, that I still had from my g/f's son. He had donated a case of oil about a year and a half ago and I had 5 qts. left. I donated the OCI to an elderly lady in my complex this AM. She drives a 98 Mustang, 3.8 V6. Her grandson will do the OCI.
BTW, thanks for the C&P.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Yeah that is stupid there. My 7317 Fram orange is $3.77, the TG is $6.64, the Fram Ultra is $8.98. So at least my area Walmart has the TG 7317 somewhere near a reasonable price point.

Yeah, the TG3593a (which IMO is interchangeable with the 9688) is priced the same as the 7317.

I also just noticed if I look at my first pic quickly, it almost looks like an Ultra, with the oil making it look a golden color.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Wow, 155K miles on the original spark plugs ... how'd they look? Engine probably runs a bit better with some new spark plugs. ...

Not too bad actually.

Not sure why the 3 on the right have brown on the bottom of the porcelain?

Originally Posted By: irv

grin.gif

Thanks for the C&P.
11.gif

I would have no issues using this filter for 10,000 miles, so a ~5,000 mile interval is easy for it.

I have a little stash of filters, so I had to choose between this M1, a Purolator PSL (the old synthetic media with metal mesh backing), Bosch Distance Plus, or another Tough Guard.
These filters also fit my motorcycle, so I plan on using the TG for the bike (and maybe the PSL).
Will be using the Bosch D+ next on the Hyundai (I have 2 of them).

I also have a Purolator Pure One (the yellow can), but am not going to use it.

That is good to know!

Thanks again for the info and the C&P.
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back