Fram Synthetic 5W20 USPS route very hard use Honda Element

2009 Honda element K24A8 Used very hard during USPS routes floored from mailbox to mailbox spinning tires and idling for excessive periods of time. Dirt dropped into engine from valve adjustment work/Sealer causing high silicon reading this oil done a great job protecting the engine considering the conditions.

Here is the UOA
20210911_214715.jpg

Wait titanium and moly, this stuff looks good, and the iron content is just 5. i know its 3k but still a ton of stop and go. I wonder how their euro grade is, don't think ive ever seen a uoa on it.

Thanks for your uoa it's pretty interesting. With that kind of high mileage why don't you run a 5w-30. And why did you get that jug that's typically 25 bucks and not something else like Mobil 1 EP or valvoline EP at walmart for the same or lower price. does AAP have good deals i don't know of.

Wait titanium and moly, this stuff looks good, and the iron content is just 5. i know its 3k but still a ton of stop and go. I wonder how their euro grade is, don't think ive ever seen a uoa on it.

thanks for your uoa it's pretty interesting. With that kind of high mileage why don't you run a 5W30

Thanks for your uoa it's pretty interesting. With that kind of high mileage why don't you run a 5w-30. And why did you get that jug that's typically 25 bucks and not something else like Mobil 1 EP or valvoline EP at walmart for the same or lower price. does AAP have good deals i don't know

Thanks for your uoa it's pretty interesting. With that kind of high mileage why don't you run a 5w-30. And why did you get that jug that's typically 25 bucks and not something else like Mobil 1 EP or valvoline EP at walmart for the same or lower price. does AAP have good deals i don't know of.
No oil consumption with 5W20 and UOA shows good results under very hard use so I dont see a reason to use 5W30. My last oil change was with conventional 5W20 and no oil consumption was noted after 5000 miles. This UOA was my oil change before the last.

Who makes this oil? Warren?
I believe so as the bottles are very similar in design to Walmart's supertech bottles. But the back of the Fram bottles do not say made by Warren so fairly certain but not fully certain that it's the same stuff.

I think an Element is a really smart choice for a rural letter carrier, even better if it was right hand drive. Hope you have robust disc brake pads. BTW I thought the new Fram motor oil was made by Conoco Phillips.
I'm not fully certain who it is made by but you might actually be right due to the titanium additive and Kendal made by Conoco Philips uses titanium additive as one of there selling points.

I'm not fully certain who it is made by but you might actually be right due to the titanium additive and Kendal made by Conoco Philips uses titanium additive as one of there selling points.
Used to, back in the sn+ days, none of their sp oils contain titanium.

No oil consumption with 5W20 and UOA shows good results under very hard use so I dont see a reason to use 5W30. My last oil change was with conventional 5W20 and no oil consumption was noted after 5000 miles. This UOA was my oil change before the last.
no oil consumption whatsoever? i expected at least a little but not enough to top up but thats great. i have slight burning to where i dont have to touch it but it still exists. bumped to a 40 but hey thats good and yeah the titanium and moly kept the metals low. Yeah its a 3k interval but a very severe one and id expect an oil without the two to have the same metals as if it had twice the distance.

In some areas the Fram oil is made by Amalie. It will have a AOC stamped on the bottom of the oil container.

I'd bet good money the vast majority of Fram oil is made by Amalie. In my area it's the same exact containers which was in Carquest oil.

In some areas the Fram oil is made by Amalie. It will have a AOC stamped on the bottom of the oil container.

I'd bet good money the vast majority of Fram oil is made by Amalie. In my area it's the same exact containers which was in Carquest oil.
I agree...

Amalie

Thanks for clearing that up.

no oil consumption whatsoever? i expected at least a little but not enough to top up but thats great. i have slight burning to where i dont have to touch it but it still exists. bumped to a 40 but hey thats good and yeah the titanium and moly kept the metals low. Yeah its a 3k interval but a very severe one and id expect an oil without the two to have the same metals as if it had twice the distance.
I would say at most maybe 0.3 quarts after 5,000 miles as the dipstick was right at 3/4 full before I changed the oil but I would call this loss pretty normal due to normal operating conditions rather than the engine losing it through piston rings or valve seals.

2009 Honda element K24A8 Used very hard during USPS routes floored from mailbox to mailbox spinning tires and idling for excessive periods of time. Dirt dropped into engine from valve adjustment work/Sealer causing high silicon reading this oil done a great job protecting the engine considering the conditions.
Very impressive report.

When I went to take delivery of my new 2022 Insight, a conversation was started with the Lead Service Advisor, gathering major service maintenance information.

He specifically stated that the Element is famous amongst Honda people for being VERY durable.

You have the right tool, and the right OCI (lol) for the job !

A good UOA such as yours is due to the specific engine and operating conditions, not the oil. Other than TBN a UOA would only show if the engine is not operating properly or has a mechanical issue.

The conditions you describe also aren’t all that severe.

Back