fram SureDrain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Fram is making them anymore, but you might be able to find them at Advanced Auto. Also, try Ebay (that's where I bought mine). Here's a link to current auctions:

19 Fram Sure Drain Auctions

BTW: From personal experience, I've had no problems with these drain valves. Other than a little slower drain time (not a big deal...it's not a NASCAR pit stop), they're great. I even think Bill in Utah uses them...so that's saying something.

I love the one (SD-2) that I put on my Ford Ranger, but would like to put one on my Wife's Honda - eBay I guess. I wonder why they stopped making them?

PW01,

Make sure you scroll down to the bottom of that auction listings page where the "Ebay Store" sellers are listed (their prices seem to be a lot cheaper than the regular auctions).

As for not making them anymore, that beats me. AA used to stock all five sizes and was always out of the popular ones (SD-2, SD-3).

I got the last one from my local checker parts store. It was on the clearance table. I asked why and they told me fram had discontinued them.

I use them on all the engines I change oil on and they are very nice.
banana.gif

Sadly, it looks like Fram looked at the bottom line and decided that it was not worth the $$ to carry on with them.

Glad I have the drains installed before they discontinued them.

I think the best things is they are compact, have no levers that could get messed with and a cap that keeps things clean and no drips.

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

Going from memory of BITOG threads regarding Fram and Fumoto oil drain valves, it seems there was a good proportion of cross threading and washer failure incidents. Imagine the non-success rates for the unwashed masses out there. I'm sure the SureDrain was a SurePain for the Fram complaint department.

Now that I have installed my first Fumoto, I no longer worry about that the Sure Drain is discontinued. I have Sure Drain on two vehicles. When I traded in my motorhome, I switched to Fumoto for the newer motorhome. The Fumoto valve is very nice and you can make a cap out of plastic tubing. It is nice not having to use an extra piece, that can be lost, to drain your oil. Haven't drained with the Fumoto yet, but I hear it is faster than the Sure Drain.

Quote:

Going from memory of BITOG threads regarding Fram and Fumoto oil drain valves, it seems there was a good proportion of cross threading and washer failure incidents.

I remember a lot of *speculation* about potential problems with SureDrains & Fumotos, but I don't seem to recall too many actual, first-hand experiences with cross-threading, leaks, levers opening accidentally, etc.

Personally, I don't see how you could FUBAR such a simple installation: You remove the old plug, carefully hand tighten the new valve until flush to the pan and then torque it to the stated specification. How is it possible to cross thread it and still snug it down by hand? Either the threads would have to already be damaged or the guy installing it would have to be a serious thumb-wrestling champion...

BTW: A long time ago, Walmart stripped out my oil plug threads on my Ranger; the subsequent larger plug and various washers never did completely seal a little leak that developed. Amazingly...and against type...the Fram product fixed the problem
smile.gif

wow I didn't even know what a Fumoto drain valve was, I just looked it up.... thats awesome, holy smokes! trying to look for a price.

I was discussing this thread with my neighbor, causing us to wind up under My Ranger with a flashlight, and now he just has to have one. He has an 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8 (4.7 I believe) but we can not find out with model fits, anybody know?

Quote:

I was discussing this thread with my neighbor, causing us to wind up under My Ranger with a flashlight, and now he just has to have one. He has an 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8 (4.7 I believe) but we can not find out with model fits, anybody know?

Looks like the F-106 Fumoto fits his Jeep {3.7L ('02 & on), 4.7L ('99 & on), 5.7L & 6.1L}

How do these things hold up over time? Do they ever get clogged or has anyone ever heard of them coming open while driving or bouncing around off-road??

my civic (93) sits kinda low, you can't even get your head under it, so my only concern is something hitting it and damaging it, other than that my MAJOR concern is turning into an oil change freak and changing it every week because it's so easy and less messy.

honda also appears to take the F-106

as does the 2000 kia sephia, though it says some 00 models need some kind of adapter, but then it doesn't specify which models need one or how it works.

still oe of the coolest "why didn't I think of that" things out there.

If you damage it and nothing else on the suspension or oil pan- go buy a lottery ticket cause you are the luckyest person on the planet!

the op asked about the fram and why its getting hard to find,maybe because most people consider the fumoto superior? I dont know, have no experience with it,I did watch these forums and others and bought a fumoto as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back