Fram Sure Drain

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
I'm sure the Fumoto is a great valve, but the Fram is what sold me on getting a valve. Not that I lay under my truck admiring the drain valve, but the Fram does looks very good sticking out of the pan compared to the look of the Fumoto. The other advantage of the Fram is that it is about half the price. However the Fram is a bit of a pain having the tube trying to flip around as you rotate the valve release onto the valve. This is likely only a problem on Fords with the side drain hole. Still, I vote for the Fram.

If you use the hose with this system, why not leave it off at first and just screw in the other piece slowly, then when you notice it beginning to drip, then put on the hose and continue loosening?

Thats exactly what I do.
Now if the dang oil filter wasnt Above the suspension so i didnt drip hot oil all over it.. the oil actually took off the undercoating on a small section 2x3" or so.
anyone know any tricks for a clean filter removal?
its a vertical filter (4.0 ranger 4x4)

Rand, For clean filter removal some have suggested putting a freezer bag or other heavy plastic bag up over the filter before unscrewing it. On my wife's Aerostar (3.0) the filter is directly above the starter. Haven't tried the bag, but if I remove the filter when the engine and oil are cold very little leaks out (especially in winter
grin.gif
).

I bought one of these in hopes that it would make changing the oil faster and cleaner. I don't think it does! It takes longer to drain out and probably leaves a tiny bit more in the bottom of your oil pan. You still need to take off the oil filter and that itself makes most of the mess anyway so why use it at all? I ended up taking mine back off to help get the left over oil out. I actually like the oil flowing faster because I theroize that it helps carry contaminates and any solids out better than a slow drain. But do what ever suits YOU best. I'm just trying to point out what I felt was a waste of money for me.

Card guy, I agree 100%. Sometimes we try too hard trying to make things easier. Trying to simplifying pulling a plug is probably a little overkill.
wink.gif

-T

I'm using the Sure Drain on one of our six vehicles (yikes) ... the one which sees the most mileage!

Positives: Easier to fill the oil sample container for oil analysis. No wear and tear on the drain plug or the pan threads. This shouldn't be a problem if you are careful, but a drain plug and the threads can get chewed up over the years, especially if ever over torqued.

Negative: Longer drain time, which isn't a big deal because I normally let everything drain while I check other fluids, tire pressures, inspect bushings, etc. Can leave more fluid in the sump depending on the particulars of your sump and the sure drain.

At this point I have left it on the one car, but not bought more for the others, so I guess that leaves me a little "on the fence".

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back