Fram Sure Drain

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many use this little device? Although I realize there are instructions on installation and useage on the package, has anyone got any additional advice? I want to put one on my Jeep.

Had one on my 02 Cherokee and now have one on my 03 dodge 1500 QC. You dont need instructyions. take out old drain plug. insert new sure drain. done. Love it BTW. no mess. drains slower but thats fine. Gives me time to go eat a sandwich or something. wish they had one for my wifes 03 Sonata.

I've got one on both of my cars and they are great! I don't use the rubber hose part though, I just use the brass piece without it. I like the fact that I can take out small samples of oil and quickly close up the draining if I wish. I also like that it drains slower as I can take oil samples without making a mess like I did when the oil flow was faster.

If you let your oil drain for an hour or more like I do, just as much oil comes out with this setup as does with a regular plug. The difference is that with this sure drain setup it takes longer for the oil to get to the point where it's dripping slowly. So if you're the type who only leaves your drain plug off for 5min, this setup won't get as much oil out of there.

The only thing I worry about is if there ends up being any extra metal particles ending up in my oil which originate from the end piece of this unit.

When I'm done my oil changes I always spray the end piece thoroughly with brake cleaner (which supposedly dries up and does not leave any residue behind)

I agree, the Fumoto is much higher quality. I bought the Fram and returned it after seeing the Fumoto. The Fumoto is approved by Toyota and Honda and is OEM on certain domestic and foreign cars. It's very high quality and no hose is needed. Highly recommend it.

This is what I use
http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=10122

I got it for an X-mas present 4 years ago and absolutely love it. It keeps my hands clean and limits my under car excursions to removing/installing the oil filters. Neat device.

For the first time on a new car, I use the pump to get all the oil out. I then open the drain plug to see if anymore oil is left. On the 7 different cars I've used it on, not 1 drop has come out. I've also tried the reverse a couple of times and always got alittle more oil out using the pump. Maybe Santa will good to someone else this year
grin.gif

Nice! So how long would it take roughly to take out 4qts of oil? I'm interested in this product.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Nice! So how long would it take roughly to take out 4qts of oil? I'm interested in this product.
cheers.gif

In the Maxima (4.25qts incl. filter) it takes about 5 minutes if the oil is warm. By the time I get under the car and loosen the plastic shield around the filter, its suckin' air.

I could use this to replace all my transmission fluid as well. (Reconsiders) I think, how does it work?

[ October 14, 2003, 01:28 AM: Message edited by: DavoNF ]

I have the Fumotos on 5 cars that I service, absolutely love them, been a couple of years now. Makes draining to taking samples so easy.

I also like that pump mentioned above, many American cars do not have a drain plug for the tranny fluid and I have been using fluid pumps to get the ATF out, poor quality and messy so the one shown above looks like a winner if you change ATF often enough.

My problem with many oil dipstick tubes is that the opening is so restricted that only an extremely narrow tube can be pushed down into the pan.

[ October 14, 2003, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: Spector ]

The pump works on vacuum, pump the handle a few times and it creates a sufficiant draw that usually lasts until the pan is drained. Works great for trannies or any other areas that have no drain plugs or are hard to get at. I've used it many times to suck out power steering fluid, brake fluid, transmissions, differentials etc. It comes with 2 different diameter draw tubes to accomodate just about any size dipstick tube. I've seen similar ones in other catalogs but this one is built very tough. Haven't had any durability issues yet and don't expect any either.

Just a question from curiosity.
How does the container empty? Is there a way to pressurize it, or is it tilt and pour?

I agree with Shorty. I use the Pela extractor pump from Overton's Marine (great service by the way). One car has 7 qt. capacity and the other is 8 qt. Only downside is that I need to extract, stop, empty container, and extract again. No biggie.

Mine has a pressure release valve and a stop that will not allow over filling. Very well thought out. I do get a small amount of spill when transferring to my 5 gal. take-to-the-recycle-center container. You just release pressure, disconnect the filling tube, and pour into a container.

I'd give it a 9 out of 10. Why not a 10? I'd like a 9 qt. capacity and a design that would allow safe/spill free transport for recycle.

BTW, I paid $50, it works for all my cars, and it should work w/ future vehicles. I understand that Mercedes dealerships are now using oil tube extraction for oil changes.

Jack

That suction pump looks like the hot ticket. If I add a remote filter set-up to my truck I wouldn't have to get under either of our daily drivers to change oil. That sounds very attractive. I did notice it stated not to use for brake fluid, because it wrecks the seals. Mityvac makes a neat little vacuum pump for extracting the brake fluid from each wheel cylinder, true one man brake bleeds- a very nifty product too (can be had from Napa or Tool Town).

quote:

Originally posted by 9c1:
Just a question from curiosity.
How does the container empty? Is there a way to pressurize it, or is it tilt and pour?

Tilt and pour. Its a 7 liter capacity and serves my needs fine but could see where doing something bigger might be a pain. I strap it in the back of the pickup and take the whole unit down to the recycling center (Autozone) and pour it right in. Brake fluid hasn't been a problem, just using it to suck the old fluid out of the resevoir. The fluid level doesn't come near the seals so I guess I'm ok.

Kompressor-nice find, now I know where to go if I need a new draw tube
smile.gif

offtopic.gif

For those of you still messing with vacuum pumps for brake bleeding, try these www.speedbleeder.com

Just gave me an idea! To make your own, some tire air compressors have an air intake line for vacuum.
Just get one of those plastic sealed pails bulk paint comes in. Put a couple of adapters/connectors on the cover lid and have one that goes to the bottom like a dip tube and connect your tire compressor to the other that terminates at the top. The empty pail is much larger capacity than most sumps.

I figure it'll take less than five to ten minutes to change your oil, just plug it into the cigarette lighter. really cheap for the DIY.

To make sure you get the right amount of oil out, premeasure the mount of oil with water you're supposed to get out, mark the level on the pail.

I'm gonna make one.

Caution!!!! for those cars that need their ignition on for the cigarette lighter to work, don't turn the car on to drain the oil.

Forget about opening up the lid for draining the oil. Just connect the air compressor to the pressure side and pump the oil into your 5 liter jugs! Handy size for recycling.

that way you seal the lid with silicone for perfect vacuum and pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back