Fram PH7317 - 9,100 miles - '15 Honda Fit

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter was on our '15 Fit for roughly 9,100 miles (Maintenance Minder indicated 15% when I changed it last weekend). It was in service for 7 months since September, so it went through fall and winter here in northern NJ. The oil was QSUD 0W-20 and cost was $3.77 from Walmart.

I normally use a Dremel to cut filters but I decided to try snips this time, hence the jagged cuts. I know the photos are not the greatest, but I was in a bit of a hurry, the lighting in the garage was lacking, and I was trying to avoid getting oil all over my phone.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with how this filter held up. The pleats are straight and relatively even, with no tears or holes in the media. The nitrile ADBV was still pliable and holding oil, and there was a visible indentation where the bypass valve sealed against the end cap.

IMG_20160314_212106_zpssykincae.jpg

IMG_20160314_212238_zpsqagjqpq0.jpg

IMG_20160314_212315_zpsvzzgzpqh.jpg

IMG_20160314_212405_zpslwkzhx0s.jpg

IMG_20160314_212426_zpsmrqo1vka.jpg

IMG_20160314_212419_zpszuna1c5j.jpg

Thanks for the cut and post. This filter certainly exceeded Fram's recommendations and did it's job well. Do you have any idea what the minimum cold start temperature was?

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
Thanks for the cut and post. This filter certainly exceeded Fram's recommendations and did it's job well. Do you have any idea what the minimum cold start temperature was?

We had one or two starts in the single digits, but more frequently they were somewhere in the mid 20s.

wow that may be the best looking cardboard orange can i have ever seen..Usually they look really really bad. Maybe they are improving. Is that 9100 miles or kilometers?

Not bad for an OCOD at all. But still, use areal filter next time. The CQ Red is excellent, and probably *the* best value-to-dollar ratio out there. Cheaper than the orange can, MUCH better quality (metal end caps), and they're made by the same company!

What did you replace it with?

I don't know but the new super tech filters look really good even up close.. I will cut this one open and be sure but for $2.84 it looks good..

Originally Posted By: Xeno
Why risk using such a cheap filter at an extended range, for a new car?

Maybe the 'risk' is all in your head, or based on what you read here. I don't understand why everyone seems to be so shocked and how well it looks.

Metal end caps are overrated anyway.

End caps only seal the ends of the media and fiber caps do as good of job as anything. If the center tube colapses or the spring fails, metal caps won't save the filter.

I think I have a fever or something!
That is the nicest, straightest pleat OCOD filter I have ever seen. If I am stating this then I MUST have a fever!
I sure hope I don't have nightmares tonight about using the same filter for multiple OCI's!
crazy2.gif
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Not bad for an OCOD at all. But still, use areal filter next time. The CQ Red is excellent, and probably *the* best value-to-dollar ratio out there. Cheaper than the orange can, MUCH better quality (metal end caps), and they're made by the same company!

And the NAPA Silver.

My opinion. Many people bought into the YouTube Fram OCOD paper end cap hysteria and perpetuated the myth making it go viral. Fists crumbling filter media. Redneck Shady Tree mechanics making false claims. Fram has long maintained that its paper media works better with a paper end cap. Glue sticks better. More flexible under pressure resisting a tear. People discounted Fram and believed the old guy on YouTube peeing on the OCOD and went for the metal end cap Purolator with the paper media. Then came multiple classic autopsys showing tears in the paper media near that stiff rigid metal end cap. Makes me think Fram was right. Reading replies you can tell there are many that still believe the redneck YouTubers. That the metal end cap is better somehow. I no longer believe it thanks to Bitog

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Any filter that looks like this one did after 9,100 miles of winter use qualifies as a "real filter" in my book. I replaced it with another PH7317.

Originally Posted By: Xeno
Why risk using such a cheap filter at an extended range, for a new car?

Despite my relatively low post count, this isn't my first rodeo. I've been a member for nearly 8 years and frequented the forums prior to that. I've seen many filters cut open, cut open many of my own, and read through plenty of facts and opinions over the years. The previous filter was a Tough Guard that looked just as good when I cut it open, and I was confident the Extra Guard would more than suffice.

To be clear, I wasn't pushing the limits with an extreme OCI, trying to wring the last few miles of life out of the oil. This was Honda's recommended interval for my car, and in fact, they recommend using a filter for two OCIs, so this was actually only half the filter milage that Honda would call for in their maintenance schedule.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Looks great to me.

After a run like this, I see no reason to change.

I agree. I replaced with with another PH7317.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back